Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

25 lb. Turkey

Options
Oakville Egg
Oakville Egg Posts: 27
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
For Easter this year I have a 25 lb turkey. It was won by my mother-in-law at a curling bonspiel. I have never done anything this big on my EGG. So I must ask the experts (That's you folks) for some advice.
My wife is somewhat leery of letting me try the Egg for something so important with so many people involved.
I don't blame her.
If someone out there has done this with wonderful results please let me know.
If not I'm afraid it's the oven for the bird.

Thanks in advance.

Kent

Comments

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    I love to brine them and cook at about 300 or so indirect. I put the breast on bags of ice for about 30-45 minutes before I cook it to make sure they cook slower and don't dry out. Save the drippings to make a gravy with. Outstanding!
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    Options
    That is a big bird for an egg.What size egg do you have?I would try it in the egg before I planned on cooking it in there.If it does fit make sure it doesnt touch the thermo on the dome.It has happened to me .
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    One bit of data that will help the eggsperts (not me) is the size of BGE you have available for this cook-I'm thinking that unless you have the XL then this may be destined for the indoor cooker.  Never tried one that big on my LBGE but there are some creative members that may have.  Good luck-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Oakville Egg
    Options
    I have a large egg. The turkey is still in the mother-in-law's freezer.
    My main concern is what you have all expressed: Will it fit?
    Don't know that yet. But let's say it does. For argument sake.
    Now what?

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Here's an idea (only cuz I have thought about this before but Never tried it):  The main issue as I see it is vertical clearance-so you have to get the bird low in the egg.  You could try putting in on a pan with an air gap on the platesetter or other means of indirect cooking and see what you get-either horizontal or vertical.  If that doesn't work and you are determined to egg it, then you could put another grate (something around 17" or so) on the ledge at the top of the fire box (then put the ring back in) use fire bricks for the indirect effect and go from there-beyond that I am out of "now what".  Hopefully others will chime in as there is time. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    edited March 2012
    Options
    25 lb turkey for a large might be a squeeze.  I would test-fit it first while it is frozen solid. 

See if you can find a roaster pan that will sit on the platesetter with (edit) the legs up and put a v-rack in the roaster pan. This should give enough height, but it will still be a snug fit.

Another thought is doing it vertical, beer-can-chicken style.

I would definitely brine it, even if it doesn't fit in the egg and you decide to oven roast it.

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Emeril's turkey brine is excellent.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I've done a 25 lb. bird on a large. Biggest worry is preventing the dome thermo from hitting the breast. You can loosen the clip and space it out if it's really tight. Mad Max method works great

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You can take out the fire ring.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.