Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using glue on table build

Options
stahlee
stahlee Posts: 9
edited March 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I'm ready to start assembling my table based on NW.  Did anybody use any glue on the joints?  I know it would be a lot of end grain to edge grain, but I'm not sure if it's worth it or not.  Wondering what everybody else did.

Comments

• yellowdogbbq
    Options
    I didn't because I used a lot of screws and figured it would be strong enough without.  If you are going to use glue than I would use Tightbond 3, its great for outdoor projects and easy to clean up.  
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    FWIW, because I did butt joints, I used waterproof wood glue on all butt joints, and also inside the screw holes. 

My thought was that the wood would help "seal" those joints, hopefully keeping water from seeping down in there.
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    Options
    Use the glue, tightbond III is a great choice.  Your table will be much much stronger. 
  • acr
    acr Posts: 27
    Options
    End grain to long grain isn't going to be all that strong of a glue joint so if you're screwing it together it won't add any real strength to the assembly.  It may keep some of the water out, but so will a good outdoor finish.

One tip to increase the strength of the glue joint is to first treat the end grain with a diluted glue mixture, let that dry and then assemble with the glue. This will keep the glue from getting sucked up into the end grain and starving your glue joint.  it should increase the strength a bit. Really though, don't rely on a end to long glue up to give you any major strength without something mechanical (screws, dowels/pins, mortice tenon, etc.)

• stahlee
    stahlee Posts: 9
    Options
    Yeah, I wouldn't expect much added strength, but I was thinking like some others where it might keep out moisture. I should have given more info probably. The table will be screwed together using McFeely's square drive screws. More or less wondering if glueing the joints would add anything to the build.
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Options
    Use pocket screw system and all those problems go away.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Options
    I am planning to use pocket screw (Kreg) + glue for added strength. Will the glue really add strength?

Quebec - Canada
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    The glue is a good idea on the pocket screwed joints. The comp of the 2 make a very strong joint. The screwed joints alone are not as strong. +1 on the Titebond 3. I biscuit joint and glue mitered deck rail caps with titebond 3 and they have yet to pull apart.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    only glue i trust is PL, plain old construction adhesive, works great, hold better than screws
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Options
    Thanks, that's what I thought. 
    Quebec - Canada