Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf

Options
Brownie
Brownie Posts: 1,023
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking a loaf tonight, which happens to already be on the egg, and began to wonder has anyone cooked a meatloaf over a bed of bacon?

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Not with bacon on the bottom but over the top. I put bread on the bottom to sop up some of the fat and then throw it away.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    granny.  try it without the pan.

brownie. it sounds interesting. why not.  again though, maybe not in a pan.

you know, meat loaf is essentially pate.  and pate is usually cooked in a pan lined with green bacon, or back fat.

you might like it better wrapping the loaf in bacon and not cooking it in a pan at all.  roast it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Check out the bacon explosion.
    http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

Of course you need some weaving skills. And rather than roll, I would wrap it like the tastiest gift paper ever.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Oh my, learning new tricks all the time. Next time no pan and wrapped in bacon. Reading up on pate from the Charcuterie. ;;)
  • Brownie
    Options
    All sounds great! I cook mine in a wire basket (Pampered chef).

Granny, do you completely cover the top or just do a few slices?
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Both, sometimes I don't plan ahead well enough and come up short on the bacon. Prefer it covered.
  • Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    Options
    Question,when you cover it in bacon does the meat still brown??
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    No, just the bacon browns.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Toss it right on the grid, indirect with a drip pan.  You'll get a nice crust all sides.  Take it up to 155 internal. 
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    Toss it right on the grid, indirect with a drip pan.  You'll get a nice crust all sides.  Take it up to 155 internal. 
    How big a meatloaf do you make Choke? ( lbs. ? )
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2012
    Options
    How big a meatloaf do you make Choke? ( lbs. ? )
    Usually about 1.5 to 2 lbs.  I cook them at about 375-400 and it takes a little over an hour to finish.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Brownie
    Options
    I'm not sure I can give up that great crust for bacon.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Haven't tried bacon yet, but like using the CI grill, flat side up, to better support, and better crust, the bottom.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    Thanks Choke!

Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Brownie, at the Salado fest I cooked a bacon wrapped meat roll. Here is what I did.
    Bacon base placed on top of bacon was 90/10 ground sirloin topped with white cheddar cheese, topped with a mixture of sautéed onions, jalapeño sundries tomatoes and mushrooms. Rolled up into a log and cooked to temp.
    I called it a deconstructed reconstructed bacon cheese burger and served on Hawaiian rolls. Didn't last very long. I never had time to take a picture, but I have done this cook before and posted pictures
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Brownie
    Options
    Austin, That's sounds fantastic! Thanks for the idea.