Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Smoking?

Options
bclarksicle
bclarksicle Posts: 167
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anybody have much experience cold-smoking things?  

Last night's cook was bone-in pork chops.  I was working from this recipe.  Basically, I cold-smoked the chops for an hour with some pecan chunks (indirect).  Dome was between 190-200, grate was 170-180.

After the hour of cold-smoke, I took took the chops off, removed the plate setter and ramped the temp up to 450ish.  I was completely blown away by the amount of smoke on the chops.  They were terrific.  Kind of got me wondering if cold-smoking would work for other things besides pork chops.  Anybody ever tried it?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    That's still hot smoking actually. But i like smoke. Smome is almost always good.

For true cold smoking, you need to be down where temps will not cook the meat.

There's been a lot of discussion lately. Cruise the older posts, maybe a day back. Look for the "amaze-n-smoker" especially
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    You are the man, Stike.  Mine arrives Friday.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    Options
    good point, although at a grate of 170 or so, there was no visible sign of the meat cooking in the hour it was on.  Although it obviously did cool slightly.  Thanks for the tip on the other posts.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Some stuff, like nova lox (which i havent done) should be done around 80 or 90 for example.

If you can manage a small fire, like in a coffee can, you can also add a tray of ice as some have. Helps keep temps down. And doing it when it's cold out of course

I do hams and bacon around 80-90. Keeps them from sweating and the fat from melting. And going the better part of a day, it prevents any cooking.

You can also jam a soldering iron in a can of chips (skipping lump altogether) havent done that either so i can't speak to it. But windering howfilthy theiron gets after18 hours. And hopefully the solder was lead free

I just do the jerry rigged small-to-large set up shown in the other post

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante