Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking about buying an egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I are in the market for a new grill and every other person I ask says to get a big green egg. My first thought was too much trouble with the charcoal and overall just thought that ease of use and cleanup would be the issue. After talking to a couple of people locally that have them and reading through the forum, I am sold. I am still a little cautious, because I don't know if I am quite into cooking like most of the people on this forum, but I like trying out new things. So I'm sold, but my wife is not. She likes the look of the big stainless steel gas grills, but her main issue is she has been told that it takes longer to heat the egg up compared to gas grills. Also, I'm not sure about size. I saw a xtra large on an internet site, and it did not have a spring band like the large, medium, and small. What is a spring band? Also, I did not see the extra large on the egg website. I know I want either a large or extra large, because if I'm cooking steak, it's usually at least 4 and up to 8 or 10 max. Give me some ammo on this thing heating up quickly compared to gas. I would assume the electric starter is must. Thanks.

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    grantour,
    If you're looking for speed, or rather if your wife is looking for speed, buy her a Corvette and get yourself a BGE.[p]A gas grill will heat more quickly than a BGE but that is about the only thing it will do better. If you want quality in your food get an Egg, if you're looking for the prestige of a big stainless gasser or the speed then by all means go with gas.[p]I know quite a few gas grill folks who pine for Eggs but I doubt any Egg owners are pining for gas, I think that speaks volumes.

• Jopa
    Jopa Posts: 155
    Options
    grantour,
    You will become a cooking nut with the rest of us. Trust me.
    I use the BBQ Guru Mapp gas lighter and it takes very little time to get a searing flame going. Nothing cooks like natural lump, a great flavor you can not duplicate with a gasser. It is very easy to use and leaves almost no ash. You will be amazed!Hope this helps!

• tn slagamater
    Options
    grantour, I think you will discover that the Egg heats up at least as fast as any gas product and the advantages of this over gas....well it would take pages...or you can read some of the comments below and go through the archives to see what Egg owners think. You can NOT go wrong with the EGG !!

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    grantour,
    I use mapp gas for lighting the Egg. 1 tank will last a year or more and thats only $8, not bad.
    You need to have your friends cook somethig for your wife, maybe a crusted salmon or a nice filet.

• locolongball
    locolongball Posts: 414
    Options
    grantour,[p]I had to do the same thing w/ my wife. After one eggfest she was sold. I wasn't really that much of a cook, until I got the egg..now I use mine 4-5 times. I look forward to weekend just so I can cook on my egg. It's hard to explain, but's it's all you'll want to do. I use MAPP Gas to light my Large egg, and I'm ready to cook in about 10 mins...15 tops. Sure, a gas grill might heat up in 5-7mins; but the taste between the two is worth the extra 3 min wait. If you want e-mail me and I'll give you my number and would be glad to answer any questions you have... Oh, yes, I would go for the large egg. XL would be really too big for a normal family..unless you are planning on guest all the time. The large will handle 8 - 10 12oz steaks, no problem.
  • Fire in the Hole
    Options
    More than one of the Eggers here have made the comment that they have either gotten rid of their gasser or, like me, use it to store egg accessories.[p]As soon as I get around to building a table, I'm kicking my gasser to the curb. Until then, it does a pretty good job of keeping my egg tools dry.[p]And by the way, not all of us are into the "fancy" foods. The egg will also make the simple meals better than you could have possibly imagined.[p]Personally, I would say get the large. It will surprise you as to how much food it can cook. [p]PS: My Weber coaler is now a flower pot.[p]:)

• Unknown
    Options
    grantour,
    I have to agree w/all the other comments, especially the 'myth' that gas heats up faster. With new lump the egg will crank up to searing level heat in minutes, & you will actually truly enjoy the end result. I dragged my last gas grill to the curb over a year ago (after 10 years of using gas) & haven't considered even for a moment getting another one. My worst fear is an errant tree falling on my egg & crushing it & being unable to replace it the same day with a new one! Make an executive decision & just buy it, it'll all fall into place after that

• Dragon Fire
    Options
    grantour,
    I had to do the same convincing with my wife. I got my egg a few weeks ago and have used it nearly every night to cook dinner. With the quality of meals coming off the egg, she has definitely changed her mind about not getting an egg. I even use the bbq guru to slow cook dinner while I am at work and she has dinner ready for her when she gets home. Once you get it and she tastes your cooking, she will wonder why she ever thought you shouldn't get one. There is just no comparison to the moist, smoked food on an egg vs. the dried out meat coming off a gas grill. Finally, I have a hobby (alright, an obsession) that my wife encourages. Once you go green you never go back.

• Unknown
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful. Can you guys help me with accessories? Which ones do you really need? I was thinking of buying one of the tables or should I stick with the nest. I was also thinking about a cover. It sounds like a MAPP gas lighter should top the list. I plan on going to the dealer tommorrow to check out the accessories and the egg. Thanks again for the info.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I got mine in a table. Was worried about it falling over in nest. I would get a plate setter, rib rack, ash tool and a meat thermometer like a polder to start off with. I don't have a MAPP torch and have no trouble staring my egg with little pieces of Coghlan's sawdust sticks.

• Unknown
    Options
    grantour,
    Definitely go with the table. I wouldnt buy one however as they are expensive. Go to the BGE website & you can print the diagram of the table & build it yourself. The table they sell is around $400.00, I built one out of cedar for about $150.00. I have never used a nest, but if you go that way you will need a table right next to it anyway to hold your beer & other items. Like pepperhead, I dont use the gas starter, I use a chimney with starter cubes & it works beautifully. The ash tool is essential as is the grid holder, plate setter & polder type temperature guage. Also, you may want to consider elbow length heat resistant gloves, the first time you accidentially open the egg & flames shoot out engulfing your arm, you'll know why. Good luck

• haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    Options
    Zippy,
    I use my egg in a nest all the time now. Since its summer time and we take it camping. as for a table I bought the egg mates that attach to the sides. They fold down when not in use. There is plenty of room for a Dublin Dr.Pepper and a roasting pan on each side :)

• Groundfish
    Groundfish Posts: 71
    Options
    grantour,[p]You are going to want to cook certain foods with direct heat and others with indirect to really benefit from the Egg's abilities. That means you will need a plate setter and/or pizza stone and a grill extender. You need an ash tool, unless you fabricate your own. I start my fires with a trioxane bar. You will also need wood chunks (hickory and apple atleast). I also use but don't 'need' the v-rack, beer-butt chicken holder and wing rack. A remote thermometer such as the Maverick et-73 is worth it's weight in gold. you will love what comes out of these eggs.

• Unknown
    Options
    grantour,[p]The argument that gas heats faster than an egg is null. How does the old saying go? "All good things come in time!" The BGE is a unique cooking experience and prove themselves worth every moment when you taste your creations. You will not regret this decision, go get it!!!!!
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Fejro,[p]I can't remember who said it, but it goes something like this:[p]If you are in a hurry to get to your dry and flavorless dinner, by all means, get a gasser.[p]But if you want a cooking and eating experience, and want to enjoy the process as well as the result, then the Big Green Egg's for you.[p]While I'm sitting on the porch with my wife having a cold beer and watching my 3 year old daughter draw pictures in watercolor, I'll think of how quickly your dinner was cooked, eaten, and how you can all rush off and not spend any time together.[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Yeah gloves are defiantly a good investment unless you don't have any hair on your arms or like the smell of burnt hair. LOL

• Unknown
    Options
    grantour,
    Can someone tell me what natural lump is and where you get it?