Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Japanese Inspired Q on the Eggs

Options
R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

I trimmed down a couple of spares to St. Louis cuts and let them soak for a few hours in a teriyaki marinade that I whipped up.  Onto the XL Egg they went for some smoking over some hickory and white oak:

After a few hours of cooking and applying a teriyaki glaze every 35-45 minutes, they were tender and ready to pull off for a brief rest:

The Mini joined the action with a teriyaki steak:

Then a 2 QT dutch with oil went on to fry up some veggie tempura:

and dinner was served:

Thanks for looking!

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• milkman5083
    milkman5083 Posts: 100
    Options
    Great pictures, and the meal looks amazing! Thanks for sharing!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Very nice !  Excellent plating too !!  What are the white roll up things in the top left?  Please don't say the "s-word".

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Very tasting looking dinner.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very nice cook and photo layout. Thank you
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Very nice !  Excellent plating too !!  What are the white roll up things in the top left?  Please don't say the "s-word".

Thanks!  The white things are just rice with black sesame seeds sprinkled on it. 

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    awesome cook!  I will have to borrow that! :D
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Very nice. What kind of camera do you guys have that take such amazing pics (R2, VI, Mickey, BOW, Necessary Indulgences). My pics suck compared to all of yours.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options

Thanks! I take most of my pics with a 7 yr old Canon Rebel XT DSLR.  It's no longer made and this year my pic #s went from 9999 back to 0001 (it reminded me of the first car I drove that went from 99999 miles to 00000).  I'd love to get a new higher end model (Canon 60D or 7D) as I really enjoy photography but I think they'd cost me more than L Egg!

Bay Area, CA
  • Jan_WassisMeats
    Options
    Wonderful pics. Looks amazing! Wish you were closer, we would invite you to be our Celebrity Chef for a Day and come and cook for us.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Nikon D300

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Outstanding job. I've never tried teriyaki ribs before. They sound awesome. Did you make your own sauce?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options

Recipes used in this cook.  I had a few recipes from different sources and took a little from each and came up with these:

Teriyaki marinade (was enough for 2 spares and 3 steaks)

2 cups dark soy sauce

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 TBS mirin

2 TBS sake

3 cloves of garlic pressed

1/2 tsp ginger very minced

Teriyaki glaze (I had 1 cup extra)

1 cup dark soy sauce

1/2 cup sugar

1/3 cup honey

2 TBS mirin

2 TBS sake

1 TBS asian chile sauce

1/2 tsp ginger very minced

1 clove garlic pressed

Tempura Batter can be found here.  I used Sapporo beer for the batter.

@Jan_WassisMeats - Thanks for the compliment! I'm a far cry from a "chef" and just someone who likes to try new things every once in a while. 

Bay Area, CA