Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Cook

Options
Smokin_Good
Smokin_Good Posts: 80
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just put on a 15lb brisket on my egg at about 5:15. Lets take a poll and see what time tomorrow everyone thinks it will be done. Got the Guru set at 215 right now.
XL BGE, Medium BGE, 36" Blackstone, UDS, Red Weber Kettle & LSG Large IVS
Keller, TX

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Interesting.  That's a huge brisket and a low cooking temp.  I'm going to say it will take 20 hours to get it to 200 internal which would make it 1:15 tomorrow afternoon.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    At least 20 hrs.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Smokin_Good
    Options
    You think it's too low of a cooking temp? I calibrated my thermometer last night and the dome temp is reading 300. That doesn't seem right to me.
    Keller, TX
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    300 dome temp is just right. Might take 11-12 hrs at that temp.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Smokin_Good
    Options
    85 degree difference between done and cooking grid seems like a big difference to me.
    Keller, TX
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    When you first put on a huge chunk of meat like that, the dome and grid temps will be WAY different.  It will even out more as time goes on.  85 degree difference seems a bit much but who knows.  Did you also calibrate the Guru?
    As to the pit temp.  It's all personal preference.  I like cooking at 250 grid temp for brisket and butt so they don't take forever.  I don't notice any difference in product at higher temperatures and many go much higher then that.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Smokin_Good
    Options
    I'm not sure how to go about calibrating the Guru. I only set it so low because the last one I did I set for 230 and next thing I know it was at 290.
    Keller, TX
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    Your smoke is making its way to North Richland Hills and it smells good.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    I'm not sure how to go about calibrating the Guru. I only set it so low because the last one I did I set for 230 and next thing I know it was at 290.
    I guess I used the wrong term.  Did you confirm that the guru is accurate (sticking the probe in boiling water and checking for 212)?

I boil water every 2-6 months and check to make sure nothing changed with my egg thermometer, Thermopen, Maverick & Guru.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Smokin_Good
    Options
    Your smoke is making its way to North Richland Hills and it smells good.
    I think I'm making one of my neighbors mad and making the other hungry.
    I guess I used the wrong term.  Did you confirm that the guru is accurate (sticking the probe in boiling water and checking for 212)?

I boil water every 2-6 months and check to make sure nothing changed with my egg thermometer, Thermopen, Maverick & Guru.
    I haven't done it in a month or so. I guess I should check it again just to be sure.
    Keller, TX
  • TigerRVer
    TigerRVer Posts: 27
    Options
    I did a 15 pounder last weekend at 225 degrees grate temperature (Stoker). Took 22 hours to hit 185. It was tender, so I took it off. Turned out good.
  • Smokin_Good
    Options
    Just bumped it up to 225. I might go up to 250 in the morning. As long as its ready for dinner by 6 tomorrow I will be happy. I want it to rest in the cooler for a couple of hours.
    Keller, TX
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    I'll bet you a beer it goes 23+.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• TigerRVer
    Options
    If you are getting close to your deadline, wrap in foil and bump the heat a little. Maybe 300 (350 if you are in a hurry). This will speed it up. Some people put a little liquid of their choice in the foil also. You may lose a little bark, but it will be done.
  • Smokin_Good
    Options
    14 hours and it's at 178. Might not take as long as I thought.
    Keller, TX
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    Options
     I did my first brisket on my xl last week; a 14 lb. packer.  I've done many briskets , but this was the first on the egg.
     I've cooked over pits, gas grills ( many kinds) , charcoal grills , gas smokers , and electric smokers.
     Here are my observations on brisket on the xl egg.

1. I am amazed at the people having trouble controlling temps with the egg. After cooking on other cookers my egg is soooo easy.

I've burned about 80 lbs of charcoal in my xl ; just to give you an idea of how much i've used my egg.
    Bottom vent 1/8 " open and daisy petals 40% open will get me right at 250 dome every time. It's so easy I personally have not seen a need for a automatic temperature controller.
     I filled my xl almost to the fire ring with royal oak. At 4:45 pm I lit it in the center with a mapp torch for 30 seconds. I let it burn with the dome and bottom vent open for about 2 minutes. Then I shut the dome . After about 5 more minutes I added the plate setter ( legs up ) ,3 egg feet with dry drip pan , and rack. I then shut the bottom vent to 1/8 " and put the daisy wheel on with the petals 40% open. At 5:15 pm with the egg at 250 dome I put on the 14 lb. packer. I put 1 maverick probe into the brisket flat , and clipped the other 1/2 " above the grid. At 3:30 pm the next day the maverick alarm went off telling me it was 195. FTC for 2 hrs , sliced and ate. It was great.
     I barely bumped the vents twice during this cook . the dome held between 240 and 270 , and the maverick on the grid between 210 and 240.

2. If you have learned how to cook brisket on other cookers the egg is so easy its scary.
  • TigerRVer
    Options
    How long has it been 178? You may be at the plateau. It may stay for 3 to 7 hours.
  • Smokin_Good
    Options
    How long has it been 178? You may be at the plateau. It may stay for 3 to 7 hours.
    Not sure how long it was there. Its about done its at 190 now. I'm going to pull it at 195. How long do you all think it will last resting in a cooler? I will post a pic when I pull it.
    Keller, TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @Smokin_Good-use the "probe slides in and out like butter in the flat" to determine when finished. All briskets cook differently and 195 may be too soon (and not likely too late) to pull.  With a good foil wrap and pack in a cooler you can get at least 3-4 hour hold time.  Enjoy-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    If you are getting close to your deadline, wrap in foil and bump the heat a little. Maybe 300 (350 if you are in a hurry). This will speed it up. Some people put a little liquid of their choice in the foil also. You may lose a little bark, but it will be done.
    I'm a couple hours into my second try at a smoked brisket flat.  I've been reading
     http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
    and
    http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/texas_crutch.html
    and
    http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/big_bad_beef_rub.html

Last time, I foiled, but didn't add anything and cooked to 195.  It came out ok, lots of liquid, but wasn't as tender as I wanted until it was eaten as leftovers and had gotten another 2 hours in a 300F oven.

This time, I'm thinking about adding some sparkling apple cider that happens to be open in the fridge...and I'd planned on adding crushed garlic and sliced up sweet onion, but I ended up making a rub based on the last of the above links, and since it has garlic and onion powder in it, I suspect adding more garlic and onion is probably overkill.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    This one came out a little better than the last.  I cooked it to 205F, and the first few slices off the thinner end were perfect (melt/fall apart in your mouth).  As I got slicing into the middle, it got kind of tough again.  I figure the leftovers will be better after another hour or so in the oven.
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options

It sound's like the moral to the story is it's more tender towards the upper range of temps, 205 will be the temp I pull mine at I do believe.

RicklessssS in Oregon