Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Installing a Nomex gasket

Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Tired of smoke leaking around the lid.  Anyone want to add anything the the included instructions?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Doc, pre shrink the gasket in the dryer on its highest setting for about 45 minutes. Otherwise, it is very easy. I took plastic shopping bags and covered the lump inside my egg. I didn't want the adhesive to get on the lump. I'm sure it would have burned off before cooking, but why take a chance? I was too lazy to empty the lump. I did mine a week ago and it has held up great. I've used my egg every night for the past 8 days.

Also, I don't remember if the directions said this, but don't use your egg for 24 hours after applying the gasket.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I sprayed the super 77 in a cup and brushed it on the egg. I laid out the gasket material on the ground and sprayed it on it. I had a helper to hold it out as I applied it. Do not stretch it, you will have plenty. Then I repeated for the dome. I only sprayed enough gasket material for one side at a time. I cleaned with acetone.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • losttree
    losttree Posts: 23
    I did the pre-shrink like Cort and sprayed the Super 77 in the cub like Gato.  The only thing they haven't mentioned that helped me was to get the paint remover attachment for my drill mentioned here:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

The acetone wasn't cutting it for me but the paint remover made quick work of the old gasket.

Adam
  • cortguitarman
    I used a wire brush and a little elbow grease. The acetone does all of the work.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    spraying the 77 into a cup means you might as well have gone with contact cement.  once the stuff is sprayed, it's merely contact cement, so if you aren't using the 'spray' capability, don't pay the premium for it
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc, pre shrink the gasket in the dryer on its highest setting for about 45 minutes. Otherwise, it is very easy. I took plastic shopping bags and covered the lump inside my egg. I didn't want the adhesive to get on the lump. I'm sure it would have burned off before cooking, but why take a chance? I was too lazy to empty the lump. I did mine a week ago and it has held up great. I've used my egg every night for the past 8 days.

Also, I don't remember if the directions said this, but don't use your egg for 24 hours after applying the gasket.
    Did you take the dome off or apply it with the lid open?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• cortguitarman
    I took the dome off. I have an XL, so the dome is really easy to remove.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • cortguitarman
    I took the dome off. I have an XL, so the dome is really easy to remove.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I agree with Stike on the contact cement. But you will find it is not easy to paint the cement on the gasket. Much easier to spray the gasket and use a brush in the dome/base. Spray can gives you the ability to use both methods. I took my dome off also.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • stike
    If you hold a piece of cardboard outside the egg along the rim, and spray closely from inside the egg, the cardboard will catch most of the overspray. Anything inside will burn off. It's natural latex rubber, and any solvents evaporate quickly.

Or just use permatex and never mess with it again
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    I just got the replacement hi tempt gasket from BGE. Is the pre shrinking necessary? planning on doing the install in the next couple days.
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    I see there is a Nomex gasket replacement that has the adhesive on the back.  No need for spray adhesive.  Anyone tried one of those?  Are those any good or do they end up coming loose?

Living Large and XL

• lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215

Whoops!  Forgot to post the link.  Just curious about this gasket.

http://www.high-que.com/Nomex-Gasket-Adhesive-Upgrade-Large/dp/B004MNW1TE

Living Large and XL

• I see there is a Nomex gasket replacement that has the adhesive on the back.  No need for spray adhesive.  Anyone tried one of those?  Are those any good or do they end up coming loose?

I've been using the Hi-Que self adhesive nomex gasket for about 8 months. No complaints here. It went on easy and has stayed on with no problems. Because of the self adhesive, you can't preshrink the gasket (or I don't know how to). That hasn't been an issue for me. After several cooks I noticed a small seperation about the width of my Maverick probe wire, so naturally, that's where my Meat probe sits during a cook.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    FWIW, I asked the folks at High-Que about preshrinking the gasket (i.e., you can't) and they said as long as you follow their instructions, it won't be a problem.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I cooked a pork loin yesterday and noticed smoke leaking from my gasket. Probably all of the wokking I have been doing at molten lava temps lately. I am about to order a Nomex replacement from High-Que. Does one (1) pack do the top and bottom, or do I need to buy two (2)? I have not seen this answered anywhere else. Thanks
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • cortguitarman
    If you order the gasket for the appropriate sized egg, one kit will do both top and bottom.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Chubbs
    Sweet, thanks.
  • Somebody wrote on an earlier post in the last few week that they ony did the bottom, And by the way,Did you see Travis's gasket on his last post-DONE!!!!!

LET'S EAT
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    If you YouTube search smoking guitar player or fredsmusicandbbq, he has three videos on installing a Nomex
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • Chubbs

Somebody wrote on an earlier post in the last few week that they ony did the bottom, And by the way,Did you see Travis's gasket on his last post-DONE!!!!!

I think he just didn't have one on.
  • stike
    bottom only is common for the rutland because of its thickness
  • Hammond1
    Hammond1 Posts: 31
    I just bought a hi que gasket. Any tips for installing other than what is on their website?
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I never preshrunk my nomex before putting that on. Didn't see that in the instructions. Any one have problems not preshrinking?
    Dunedin, FL
  • Doc_Eggerton
    I am a little unhappy tonight with my XL.  The gasket fried after several cool cooks, at a temp of about 600.  Now I notice there is about a quarter inch gap back by the hinges.  I can actually see orange from the lump through it.  It doesn't look misaligned.  I hope the nomex gasket fixes all this.

• FWIW, methinks I'm gonna just use the Permatex (Ultra Copper) as the gasket itself, if/when I finally get around to replacing my gasket. 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • xraypat23
    doc, you can run with no gasket, but need to readjust the lid.
  • GatoGordo
    GatoGordo Posts: 80
    I never preshrunk my nomex before putting that on. Didn't see that in the instructions. Any one have problems not preshrinking?
    The first time I applied the nomex gasket, I preshrunk it in the dryer. The gasket failed fairly quickly. I am not sure if the problem was due to the preshrink or my technique when applying the gasket. In my second attempt, I preshrunk the gasket in the oven. This time the gasket has shown no problems through lots of cooks some of which were over 700.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • xraypat23
    GATO, what was your oven shrinking procedure? going to replace mine tomorrow night.

BTW, hillbilly, the permatex gasket alone probably won't be enough of a gasket, and might glue your egg shut.

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited March 2012
    BTW, hillbilly, the permatex gasket alone probably won't be enough of a gasket, and might glue your egg shut.

Xray - I can't take credit for the idea of just using the Permatex itself as the gasket. I know of at least a handful of folks who have done so, and, as far as I know, it's still holding up.

I think the key is to place some plastic wrap between the lid & the Permatex, and SLOWLY lower the lid onto the Permatex. The weight of the lid will "smoosh" (that's a technical term) the Permatex down just enough to form a "custom" contour of the shape along the edge. Also, I think that you can put that stuff on fairly heavily (ie, thick) such that it should be thick enough to form a "gasket-y" area.

Keep in mind that I've NOT done this yet, so I'm just speaking from what I THINK might happen, based on reading the comments from others who have done it.

HTH,
    Rob

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee