Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg nest mobility

Options
GrillMan
GrillMan Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm ready to invest in my first egg and was wondering how easy it would be to move a large egg in a nest on a brick patio. My concern is if the egg nest will get caught in the gaps between the bricks( approximately 1/4 inch deep depressions).The wheels don't appear to be that large on the nest.My current gas grill rumbles over the bricks and I have a large handle to steady things with. I wouldn't want to chance toppling the egg when moving it. Also, could anyone recommend a dealer in the Philadelphia, South Jersey area. The couple I checked out are very expensive($750 for a large egg without the nest, no extras) and no demos or experience with using the egg.
Thanks for the help.

Comments

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    teach31,[p]check your email.
    whether the nest will roll reliably on your patio depends
    on the width of the cracks between the bricks...[p]HolySmokes

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    teach31,
    Definitely take care moving an Egg in its nest on uneven surfaces! Pull, don't push, and the lower that you can grab it the better. I pull the legs rather than try to pull by grabbing the handle of the lid, for example.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    teach31,
    The egg can be pretty easy to topple, but with the right technique (and full attention), the egg can be pulled over some pretty rough surfaces with no problems. I have not spilled one in 6 years, and that is with a load of transporting and moving..bumpy grass, tore up parking lots, even gravel. Like the Whiz sez, pulling the legs of the nest down low is a great way. Your brick patio should not pose any problems.[p]Happy eggin
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    ribsplus.jpg
    <p />teach31,[p]The "Stoveworks" in Medford, NJ is a great place to buy BGE. Ed, the owner, is an Egger himself and would be glad to help you with your purchase. Last I checked his price was $725.00 for a large BGE, nest, ash tool, grill gripper, fire starters and a bag of lump. If you are interested this Sunday Ed and I will be cooking all day long during the Medford Arts and Music Festival. We would love to answer any questions you have and you could see and taste Eggs in action.[p]I hope to see you there.[p]Chuck

[ul][li]Stoveworks[/ul]
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Chris,
    You failed to mention the one hazard that you often encounter in egg transfers. Beer.
    Scott