Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect Smoked Pork Tenderloin?

Options
acrash
acrash Posts: 17
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

Has anyone tried indirect smoking pork tenderloins? I was thinking of trying it with the plate setter on, raised grate, and some cherry wood or mesquite.  I have done pork tenderloins direct on a gas grill before, seems like indirect at a higher temp (350 or 400), with some additional 'smokiness' could be good.  Any thoughts, or just go with direct cooking?

If I went direct cooking, has anyone just thrown in some mesquite chips to add some additional smoke flavor to the pork tenderloin?  I've read some of the threads already, some good recipies there.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!  Three weeks with the egg, and I have now done Brisket, Pizza, Chicken Drummies, Whole Chicken, Rib Eyes, and Fajitas! About blown through one whole bag of 20# BGE lump.

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I typically do indirect on my pork loins. I put some aluminum foil down on my plate setter (legs up) and cook. I always use a sweet wood when doing pork. If you use mesquite, let us know how it is.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I have not done one with egg yet, but I use to do them indirect with mesquite on my weber. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • acrash
    Options

Thank you gentlemen for responding.

@Bugguy136 - have you ever used a mix of smoke chips, like mesquite and cherry? Too much?

@Ragtop99 - how was the mesquite with the pork tenderloin? Any thoughts on the flavor?

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options

Thank you gentlemen for responding.

@Bugguy136 - have you ever used a mix of smoke chips, like mesquite and cherry? Too much?

@Ragtop99 - how was the mesquite with the pork tenderloin? Any thoughts on the flavor?

I have used mix of fruit wood and hickory about 3 or 4 to 1 fruit wood. Seems like mesquite would be a little overpowering.
    George
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

Sorry for not getting back sooner but I had a 12 lb pulled pork ready and friends over.

I never mixed woods other than apple and cherry. I live in the fridgid north (Minnesota) and now with spring here, I will do a lot of grilling and experimenting.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I like mesquite and don't find it over powering.  But how much you use and how strong you like your smoke is a personal preference and I do lean to the smoky side.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • acrash
    Options

Well...the results are in... Pork Tenderloin indirect = very juicy.  Pork Tenderloin Indirect + Mesquite = very excellent & juicy .......... ham.  The mesquite basically converted the tenderloin with a nice smokiness, and it had a smooth texture, but all of the flavor of the tenderloin was gone.  All I could taste was the mesquite.  It wasn't bad, still tasted good, just not what I would expect a good tenderloin to be. I chalk it up to my education and a small offering to the BGE.

Thank you for your comments!

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I love pork loin, and tenderloin, but I can't add smoke for the same reason. It does remind me too much of a ham, and ham is not one of my choice cold cuts.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Rocket15
    Rocket15 Posts: 42
    Options
    Got my Egg on Saturday and pork tenderloin was my first cook.  I thought I had perfected this on my Weber gas grill but my wife said the Egg was the best it has ever tasted!  I marinate it with an Asian recipe from a book called "Grilling for Dummies", cooked it indirectly over a plate setter (w/drip pan) with cherry wood.  I have tried many woods but cherry seems the best for pork.  I soaked the chips for 30 minutes and put them over the charcoal in a spiral pattern just like in the DVD. I was able to maintain the grill at 350 to 370 degrees and it took about 45 minutes (2 1.5 lb tenderloins).  I have to credit the excellent instructions (DVD) along with forum for a successful first cook.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    I can never get my fire to burn in a spiral.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options

:))
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    You have to lead it with a trail of lighter fluid .....  JUST KIDDING -- IT WAS A JOKE... 
    Cookin in Texas
  • patsboosta
    Options
    I have always done mine direct. 20 min at 350 flip, andother 20 min and its done!