Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bar Towel Pork Tenderloin

Options
Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried the bar towel tenderloin on Naked Whiz's site? Looks interesting but I would be scared as hell to try it!! How would you even decide to do this the first time??!!
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    Options
    I could not get past the salt, but there is a lot of great recipes on his site.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    It's on my list. I haven't found anyone else that has tried it yet.

It would be a crowd pleaser if successful.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Yeah, I made it with BEEF tenderloin back in 2010 using Steven Raichlen's recipe from Planet Barbecue

Full details here:  http://www.nibblemethis.com/2010/08/lomo-al-trapo.html

I was worried that I was wasting an expensive cut of beef but it totally worked.  The salt turns into a crust that completely breaks off. 

It isn't BETTER than a reverse seared tenderloin but it is AS GOOD and makes one hell of a presentation when you bring it to the table and bust it open.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    I did something similar with a whole chicken on the Egg. I mixed a ton of kosher salt with egg whites and covered my chicken with the mixture. I set up the Egg indirect and put the chicken in a disposable roasting pan. The salt formed a crust that was hard a brick. The chicken was nice and moist but we like a crispier skin.

I may try nibbles tenderloin recipe simply for the "wow" factor at a party. I'll have to practice it a few times prior, though! 
    :-))
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • GatoGordo
    GatoGordo Posts: 80
    Options
    I have done it a couple of times. It is easy to do and comes out great.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • burntbrisket
    burntbrisket Posts: 22
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I also done it a couple of times with great success.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Just a regular tea towel??
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    I have done this many times and all have turned out great. Go to Bed Bath and Beyond with your coupon and buy a pack of their kitchen towels. You need all cotton. I cut the tag off of each towel. One suggestion is to put a piece of foil where the towel touches the side of the egg so it does not stick to the side and make it hard to flip over. And, you probably want to take the meat of of the towel and salt shell outside as the towel will still be smoldering.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    This is a must do. Thanks for the tip. We have Bed, Bath and Beyond here. We put this on the short list, as I have pork tenderloin in the freezer.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • jjmills
    jjmills Posts: 117
    Options
    That is amazing how it turned out on the "nibble me this" link.  curiosity has got me.  I will be trying this soon.
     LG. BGE  Straight up Cheese head from Little Chute, WI