Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

An observation and a request

Options
13»

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I agree.  I think all these posters who keep saying they are experts, and anyone with 10,000 posts, is automatically a troble maker, obnoxious, and self-impressed.  These clowns answering all these questions, and trying to help newbies, ought to be banned the minute they answer their 10,000th newbie question, (yeah, i'm talking about you, fishlessman).

so. Beef Wellington.  hopefully challenging enough to score points with those who like different stuff, and yet simple and beef-related enough to keep those happy who like regular meat-related stuff.  Also complicated enough looking to impress those who like difficult stuff, but secretly actually easy enough to keep those happy who hate step-by-step instructions and stuff.  Perhaps fancy enough to win over some of the high falutin types, and yet since it's basically store bought dough and meat, butch enough to impress the macho he-man types.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Stike,

That belongs in a museum as a work of art !  I'm not quite there yet, but I will be with the help of folks like you.

Thank you.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• stike
    Options
    i'm not kidding when i say it is easy, VI.  it's marinated tenderloin, seared briefly, then coated in mushrooms and wrapped in store bought dough.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Stike your Wellington is a work of art.  We (#1 son & I) do a Wellington every Christmas and we don't decorate our dough.  Will be sending that picture to #1 son, with your permission of course.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    So baloney and such?
    ID you are dirty!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    Options
    This thread sucks. HH, it's your fault. Way to go.
    I blame myself. People ate too nice and I always ruin it. I AM Going to hug my EGG.
    Actually yins guys are cool. Can't wait to meet face to face one day!
    Still going to hug my EGG

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    VI and HH. I don't think you are actually upset with each other. I hope. I agree with the other positive statements made here. VI, I also accept your challenge and I think it is a great idea!! How could anyone be upset about someone else trying to increase the enjoyment ( not sure this is possible ) that we get out of our Egg's. HH I don't think VI was trying to make any accusations to anyone, I feel that he merely wanted to "broaden our horizons" so to speak. I also didn't feel that you meant any harm. I love this forum as the people here are friendly, polite, helpful and fun!! This forum has drastically shortened my learning curve ( even though as I mentioned to VI earlier today " I am it's b*$th " ) and I sincerely appreciate all the great ideas, input and feedback that everyone has here. Thanks to all. Anyway now I gotta figure out a way to toss in a worthy participant to this sweet dish idea that VI has tossed in! It will take me awhile but I will return, hopefully with a sweet idea! Excelsior!!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • stike
    Options
    @austinegghead:  this pic shows the decoration a little better.

you can freehand the leaves with the tip of a paring knife. the berries are cut out with a CLEAN pen cap cover (large ballpoint pen). i tried rolling the berries one year, but not as effecetive. little egg wash, and good to go.

@cblii:  i never wrote up the cook here, other than a few pics.  did a another chirstmas wellington maybe 4 or 5 years ago.  it's on the 'other' forum.

it's a standard recipe.  traditional marinade (cognac and mirepoix) and wild mushroom pate' stuffing around the beef (shrooms cooked til nearly dry). marinade is mixed with red wine and herbs and reduced to a sauce.

pat dry then quickly sear the surface of the tenderloin. chill the tenderloin, and then coat the top of the tenderloin with pate, then the shrooms. flip it over top-down in the center of the pastry. cover the rest of the beef with the pate and shrooms.  then fold the pastry over it.  and flip, seam down. few slits to vent the steam, and decorate with the leftover pastry. roast at 400 or so, foiling after the pastry browns.  pull at 125 max internal temp

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Stike - that is awesome -- humbled after seeing that.   

I do have another question though, related to the exchange with Griffin above about the short ribs.   Was pondering this while traveling this afternoon - and could not reach a conclusion on my own.

Question for the group

To what exent will a liquid take on smoke flavor?    How does the rate of flavor enhancement by smoke compare to the absorbsion of smoke flavors by meat? 

We all kinda have a feel for amount of smoke, what it does to pork, chicken, or beef.  But in the example of braising on the BGE - are the liquids which are steaming the meat absorbing and are flavored by smoke.

The continuation of that - a pot of beans - would you get a smoky flavor in them?   Would you smoke more or less aggressive than if you were smoking meat?

This has alot of implications, figured that the question has been answered many times over by those more experienced than I, just trying to learn.

Cookin in Texas
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    This thread sucks. HH, it's your fault. Way to go.
    +1!!!!!!
  • eggnited
    eggnited Posts: 94
    edited March 2012
    Options
    message deleted by myself...sorry...nothing to see here....carry on! LOL
  • eggnited
    eggnited Posts: 94
    Options
    Stike, I would like to encourage you to kick it up a notch...you're boring me with your run of the mill Wellington! Badumpum PSSH! Ah thank you...exiting stage left!  :))
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Options
    Everybody is an experts if they put there mind to it!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com