Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Trex Steak

Options
bamafan62
bamafan62 Posts: 137
edited January 2012 in Beef
Hi All,

Boy that was scary!  I got the dome temp. to 700 plus degrees.  I had a clip on the grate and it read 500 plus degrees.  I put the meat on for 45 seconds for each side.  I was very careful when I was burping.  I heard a "pop" sound and I am afraid a grate has cracked.  Still hot to check.  I followed the other instructions and the steaks were cooked perfect.  Thanks to all for all your help.  I will do this again real soon!

Phil

Comments

• NewEnglandEgger
    Options
    I also just did my first Strip using the TRex method. Steak was about 2.5 inches thick. Followed the directions to a T, and used an instant read thermometer to confirm I'd reached 145 degrees for Medium.

Steak came out absolutely perfect. It was actually pretty stunning that it worked so well the first time!

Can't wait to do it again!

Tom
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    First time I got my egg up to that temp I heard a big pop noise and I thought the same thing, but there was nothing - I have no idea why nothing, but nothing.  Sounded bad though.
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    this was my first t-rex on the spider with the weber cast iron grate. Preheated to 650 dome for 30  minutes, 1.5mins a side, than i put the adjustable rig in and let it finish on the top level for another 2 mins a side....perfectly med-rare.image
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Love the Trex method, but I had problems getting my Egg temp back down to normal roasting temps (took 2+ hrs).

So upon pleading my case, some bright guys on the forum gave me the idea to get a smaller cooking grid & throw it right on top of the coals so I can sear directly over the coals - and that's what I've been doing ever since!! 

To me, it's the best of both worlds - get to do the high heat sear, and then after taking the steak off, while it's resting, all I have to do is just dial in the vents to the appropriate setting & the Egg is usually @ the right roasting temp by the time the steaks are done resting - EEEEAAASY PEEEZY!!  B-)

So if anyone else is having problems getting the Egg back down from (or I guess also up to) those LAVA temps, this is a GREAT alternative method!!

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    looks like everyone gasket looks like mine, peeled off 85% of it while it was hot yesterday, heading for the acetone and scraper over the weekend and hopefully the hi temp gasket install.