Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beef jerky

uncledave
uncledave Posts: 90
edited March 2012 in Beef
I got a digiq for my birthday. I want to try to make beef jerky on my xl. I have a plate setter and a 2 tier raised grid. Can I just put lump in like I always do or is there a trick to making jerky. I don't want the egg too hot but I want some smoke. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2012
    Here's how I did it last summer on the XL with the DigiQ:

About 3 1/2 lbs. of Top Round sliced at 1/4". Ended up with about 1 1/2 lbs. after shrinkage. I used the DigiQ set to 165. Worked great. Marinated for about a day. Started taking jerky off the top rack after about 3 hours. Stuff on the bottom took a total of 6 hours. Next time I'll rotate the racks throughout the cook as it is clearly hotter at the top of the dome. Overall it turned out really good.image 

Jerky marinade: 
    1/4 C sugar 
    3 T Tender Quick 
    1/4 C honey 
    1/8 C Country Bob's sauce 
    1/2 T garlic powder 
    2 T Texas BBQ Rub 
    1/4 t hot chipotle powder 
    1 C water 
    1/8 C kosher salt
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• uncledave
    How did you build your fire?
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2012
    How did you build your fire?
    I put just a small amount of lump (maybe 2-3 handfuls) and started it in a "starter chimney". Then poured it on top of the pile of unlit lump.  I'm sure you could light it any way you want as long as you don't start too much. You want the DigiQ to slowly bring it up to temp and not overshoot the very low "drying" temperature.

If the temp gets too high for too long, you're going to cook the jerky instead of dry it.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    I plan to make a couple of batches this weekend. Always need a bag of jerky on the boat. Last time I made it Kroger had a package of meat already sliced, labeled stir fry, used it and it turned out great.
  • uncledave
    If I start the fire and keep it low what about the bad smoke before it burns off?