Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Diaster with the felt gasket

patrick348
patrick348 Posts: 1
edited March 2012 in Root
My Big Green Egg is sealed tight. On only the 3rd use the temp got a little high and the gasket peeled off. This apparently caused the glue to be exposed and now the top is glued to the bottom. PLEASE HLEP ME?????

Comments

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Peel it off and toss it at this point, it sounds like it can't be saved. Your egg should still work fine, if there are substantial leaks then you may need to install a replacement. BGE will cover it but you may want to skip the freebee and upgrade to the nomex or whatever's popular these days.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674

It's not the temp. BGE gaskets suck and they fall off no matter the temp. Not your doing. I run 4 eggs no gaskets. Or put on a rutland and forget it (will stay on). I am not saying BGE sucks, only the gaskets suck.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Yep... If you're gonna replace it, use a Rutland...even the high heat nomex will fail eventually.
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    If Im reading this right your lid is glued down..... In that case I would light a fire in the bottom vent and let the heat loosen the adhesive. Might work....
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Oh...no one else(myself included)is reading it right...heating it should do the trick...
    If Im reading this right your lid is glued down..... In that case I would light a fire in the bottom vent and let the heat loosen the adhesive. Might work....

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Sorry Patrick, I can't read :-B
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231

Its ruined, send it to me and buy a new one! :-)

Or do like others suggested and light it from the vent and let it heat up...

• frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    Where is the best place to get a Rutland gasket for the BGE? I checked Fred's and only saw Nomex gaskets.
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Amazon, some ace hardware has it, fireplace and spa stores sell it...
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I fried my felt gasket the 2nd use. Called BGE and asked if they had a high-temp upgrade gasket they could send as a replacement and sent a nomex for free. Has help up great on some high-temp cooks. If you wanted to go nomex, you can probably get them to send you one for free if you called them.
    Dunedin, FL
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    frankc623, if you would like some help on the Rutland thing, visit the original BGE forum and look for Ron Prate who posts as RRP.  He has sold hundreds of them and is a very helpful guy who will make sure you get the right type of Rutland, etc and help you with installing it if you need.  Here's a web page on how to install it that I put together with Ron's help:  Installing a Rutland Gasket

Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    frankc623, if you would like some help on the Rutland thing, visit the original BGE forum and look for Ron Prate who posts as RRP.  He has sold hundreds of them and is a very helpful guy who will make sure you get the right type of Rutland, etc and help you with installing it if you need.  Here's a web page on how to install it that I put together with Ron's help:  Installing a Rutland Gasket

Good luck!
    I read this page before I put on my new gasket, and using the 3m stripper and you suggested was the best $8 I spent. I lightly dabbed some acetone on the top rim and the old adhesive came right off with the drill with no damage to the egg.
    Dunedin, FL
  • tjp1060
    tjp1060 Posts: 55
    I went to the mothership recently for a few items that I needed for a used small BGE. While I was there, I decided to get a Nomex gasket for my large. I explained that the felt gasket had burned off. All they offered was a free felt gasket. When I asked for the manager, they decided to let me have the Nomex for the price difference of a felt gasket. Not feeling the love at the moment... :((
  • frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    Thanks whiz!
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD