Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Giant bubbles in my pizza

jmsmrdk
jmsmrdk Posts: 87
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anybody have a fix for gigantic bubbles in pizza"s?  I poke holes in the dough and all that stuff, am I missing something.

Not even close to the biggest bubble of the night. Most had two or more bigger than this.

Four pizza's. 700 degree dome.  Big bubbles in all of them.  This night was trader joe dough i think.  This also happens with our homemade dough.
Is there something i can do to stop this?  The pizza was still awesome.

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    No pizza expert here, but I'm going to say too hot and too much moisture in your dough.  I do mine at 500* and they turn out just fine.  Also, do you have your stone raised off of the platesetter?

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379

I would echo what Bowhunr said,  I am no pizza expert and the dough is too wet. i would say the holes in the dough are closing up due to how much moisture was in the dough. that just about has to be why there is bubbles in your dough. my .02

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited March 2012

http://www.amazon.com/Ateco-01357-Pizza-Docker/dp/B000ZNPRJ6

From Amazon Description...
    Stop your pizzas from forming large buggles during baking by docking the crust before adding sauce and baking. Easy to use and very effective.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I had the same problem and I read that the bubbles are a result of either over proofing the dough or under proofing the dough. Bubbles from under-proofing are the flat bubbles big in diameter. Bubbles from over proofing are usually high but small in diameter. To prevent adjust fermentation times. Increase fermentation for under proofed dough and decrease fermentation for over proofed dough. Aside from adjusting you proofing of the dough, lessen the moisture in the dough. Or, you could try poking little holes into the dough with a fork prior to putting sauce on. If you still get bubbles, watch through the top vent and open done and pop them if they get too big.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Moisture in the dough only has very little to do with it, and the bubbles produced by moisture are generally desirable. The bubbles you are describing are caused by either over or under proofing your dough. Proofing is basically the rise time (fermentation time). Under proofing causes large flat bubbles....think pita bread pockets and over proofing produces smaller higher bubbles. It looks like your're over proofed. The problem with store bought dough is you have no idea how long those balls are on the shelf...they are proofing that whole time. As simple as dough seems, it is really a very complex living thing, that behaves certain ways under certain conditions. Learning how to control and manipulate those conditions to produce desired results is not easy to master.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    What Chubbs said...