Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Resting question

Options
gooddogjudge
gooddogjudge Posts: 106
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Does resting benefit poultry, or just pork and beef?

Should I rest the spatchcock chicken and if so, for how long?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    all meat benefits from a rest when it is roasted to normal serving tem,ps.  stuff like PP, ribs, etc. doesn't need it (or benefit from it)

contrary to popular myths, juices don't 'flow' anywhere in a resting piece of meat.  but if you cut a hot roast, the juices flow freely.  allowing it to cool and rest permits the meat to retain the juices.  imagine it stone cold.  no juice would flow out.  if you let it cool a bit, it will help retain the juices.

some say the juice returns to the center after being driven to the exterior (or maybe it's vice versa), but i subscribe to Harold MaGee's take on it re: slightly cooling it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gooddogjudge
    Options
    so do you consider poultry to be meat?

I think what you're saying is, if i'm gonna eat the whole bird in one sitting, no need to rest it.

I think you're telling me the rest is beneficial for eventual leftovers of roasted beef... 
  • stike
    Options
    poultry is meat you should rest it. about the only meat i don't rest is fish.  well, i rest it, but nmot for any juices... just to let it coool a bit. 

i'm not sure where you got the leftovers thing.

here's as simply as i can put it.
    if it is meat, cook it.  rest it. then eat it. 

the only wrinkle in this is pulled pork, ribs, etc. which are taken way beyond typical roast or steak temps. resting them doesn't benefit them

• gooddogjudge
    Options
    You've explained it now so my simple mind can understand.

As for leftovers: if you slice hot meat and juices flow freely, it seems to reason if you let it rest and the juices are retained, surely leftovers would have more juice since they did not flow freely and become a delicious topping for my favorite dog's supper.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Seems legit! :)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • stike
    Options
    but you are reheating leftovers...  reheating will drive out more moisture
  • gooddogjudge
    Options
    but you are reheating leftovers...  reheating will drive out more moisture
    yes, but reheat at 250 and lots of moisture remains.
  • stike
    Options
    yep.  but it's always less.

my original answer was yes, he should rest any meat, except fish maybe, and pulled pork, ribs, etc.

not sure where the leftovers came into it.
    but no matter how you reheat it, more and more of the 'moisture' in the meat will be driven out every time it's reheated.