Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Forgive me Eggheads for I have Sinned.

2»

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I actually watched your 2 videos on youtube earlier today with no clue that was you. Nicely done. Interested to see how this thing holds up to the test of time.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    i think that would be great as a second egg for camping, always bothersome diving down a logging road with an egg in the truck. for home use, it would be expensive feeding that thing, its going to burn alot more lump and ive burned an easy n400 pounds a year for several years straight with 1 large egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JMSetzler
    JMSetzler Posts: 75
    I'm expecting to have completed my seasoning burn (yesterday - 1 hour at 400+ degrees and then cool down) and my 7lb boston butt cook today (currently 6 hours in) with less than 8lbs of lump.  I don't know how to compare that to what an egg consumes.  I'm cooking today at 275-ish. 
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I want to ask an honest question, and not intended to make a point by asking the question.

This unit is not ceramic, as I understand it so far.  So, am I correct that the whole concept of ceramic cooking, and the consistent heat that surrounds the food while cooking is not there?  And, if that is true, how is it any better than a Weber Grill or an Old Smokey?

Believe me, I am not trying to diss this.  I would be elated if I got a satisfactory answer.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• JMSetzler
    I want to ask an honest question, and not intended to make a point by asking the question.

This unit is not ceramic, as I understand it so far.  So, am I correct that the whole concept of ceramic cooking, and the consistent heat that surrounds the food while cooking is not there?  And, if that is true, how is it any better than a Weber Grill or an Old Smokey?

Believe me, I am not trying to diss this.  I would be elated if I got a satisfactory answer.
    It is NOT a ceramic cooker.  It is modeled similarly to the BGE design.  The 'shell, if you will, is a double wall steel design with insulation between the walls.  The outer coating is similar or the same as an egg.  The inside is coated with porcelain.  As far as heat retention is concerned, I don't think it has anywhere near the same thermal mass as the porcelain cookers do.  I would think that the thermal mass that this cooker does have, although not as much as the egg, would provide a similar cooking environment.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340

If it cooks like a Weber Kettle but more fuel efficeint that would make it a pretty awesome grill.

• Village Idiot
    It is NOT a ceramic cooker.  It is modeled similarly to the BGE design.  The 'shell, if you will, is a double wall steel design with insulation between the walls.  The outer coating is similar or the same as an egg.  The inside is coated with porcelain.  As far as heat retention is concerned, I don't think it has anywhere near the same thermal mass as the porcelain cookers do.  I would think that the thermal mass that this cooker does have, although not as much as the egg, would provide a similar cooking environment.
    Thanks, JM.

Please post pictures of pizzas, baking, smoking, grilling, wokking, etc. that this guy can do.  I'd be interested in adding it to my arsenal.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• JMSetzler
    I have two video reviews made, and the third one of a boston butt cook is in progress right now...

Char-Griller Kamado Review 1

Char-Griller Kamado Review 2
  • Village Idiot
    JM.  Thanks.  Very professional videos and quite impressive.

I look forward to seeing your cooks on it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Looking at it as a mechanical engineer, I would think it could keep a steady heat just as good as a ceramic, depending on the kettle's conductive heat transfer (and it could be higher, or even possibly lower).  I don't see why it would burn lump at a greater rate than a ceramic, assuming the heat transfer is similar.
    Along with being more durable for camping as someone above mentioned, it might even stabilize at a given temperature quicker, given its lower thermal mass.  
    Thanks for posting the videos!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• JMSetzler
    Here's the video of today's Boston Butt cook on this cooker...

http://youtu.be/jxyZasR9aF0

BTW- I realize this forum is for BGE owners and enthusiasts and that's why I came here as I was shopping for a BGE.  I'd like to continue to participate here at some level because there is a lot of great info and people here it seems.  I won't post cooking photos, videos, or other material because I'm not cooking on an egg.  I have posted these videos because I was asked to.  If the admins of this site find that to be a bad idea, please remove them.  Even though I'm not an egg owner, I feel that I can contribute in other ways with my cooking experience.  For me, cooking is like my photography hobby.  It's not as much about the tools used as the final product :)  I hope you will have me.

Thanks!

John Setzler
    Valdese, North Carolina
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Nice video. I grew up in Hickory so you are OK with me. I enjoy reading your posts. Good luck.

Just for my info, where did you get that great quote on the large BGE?
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Enjoyed the videos. BB looked great. One thing I was thinking is on your thermometer. When cooking indirect on the egg the grate temp is usually lower than the dome temp except maybe after several hours when they do get closer. My point is your thermometer was reading the other way around so you may still be several degrees off. Is there any way to remove and calibrate or replace that thing. Thanks again for the informative videos, well done.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • JMSetzler
    Nice video. I grew up in Hickory so you are OK with me. I enjoy reading your posts. Good luck.

Just for my info, where did you get that great quote on the large BGE?
    New River Building Supply in Boone.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited March 2012
    it may stabilize more quickly given the lower thermal mass, but that just means it would be more subject to fluctuations, because it lacked that mass.  double edged sword.  just as a weakness of the egg is its inability to shed stored heat, the weakness of a metal cooker may be that it sheds it too quickly.

like a cast iron vs. carbon steel wok.  the thinner carbon steel sheds heat quickly.  you can turn the heat down quickly.  cast iron holds heat well. great for a skillet maybe, but not a wok.

depends what you want it to do.

a cooker which doesn't have much mass might burn mor charcoal to maintain a given temp because (as in a weber) much of the heat is being radiated away from the cooker by the lid.  in order to maintain 'x' temp, the fire must recover that heat by burning lump at a faster rate. this results in greater airflow, and is one reason generally given as to why the ceramics result in a more moist product.  less airflow, less drying.  true? i dunno.

the steel keg variants are insulated, with is intended to reduce heat radiated away.  that implies less fuel being used.  but if they don't have much mass, they won't also be able to retain heat, smoothing out recovery time after the lid is opened, for example.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    Was your pit/oven temp probe laying on the foil covered pizza stone during this cook? I was thinking it was and possibly the reason for the temp difference. Nice video, Thanks for sharing.
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    JM I watched all 3 of your videos and thoroughly enjoyed them! In my book you are welcome here on this forum. the BB looked spectacular and your videos were very professional and informative. You clearly know about smoking and BBQing. I think your input into this blog would only make it better. Thanks for the review of the Chargriller Kamado.
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • EazyE
    EazyE Posts: 67
    N
    JM I watched all 3 of your videos and thoroughly enjoyed them! In my book you are welcome here on this forum. the BB looked spectacular and your videos were very professional and informative. You clearly know about smoking and BBQing. I think your input into this blog would only make it better. Thanks for the review of the Chargriller Kamado.

I agree! Thanks for sharing the review and the video. That butt looked amazing! I think I was wrong and that cooker will work out just fine for you!
  • JMSetzler
    Was your pit/oven temp probe laying on the foil covered pizza stone during this cook? I was thinking it was and possibly the reason for the temp difference. Nice video, Thanks for sharing.
    No.. I just laid it there to monitor the pit temp while it was heating up initially.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    JM - great videos, thanks for posting.  
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I would consider this as a compliment to my egg.  I wonder how long this lasts?  Every grill I have bought at Lowes/Home depot was typically junk after a few years - wonder how this holds up.
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Here's the video of today's Boston Butt cook on this cooker...

http://youtu.be/jxyZasR9aF0

BTW- I realize this forum is for BGE owners and enthusiasts and that's why I came here as I was shopping for a BGE.  I'd like to continue to participate here at some level because there is a lot of great info and people here it seems.  I won't post cooking photos, videos, or other material because I'm not cooking on an egg.  I have posted these videos because I was asked to.  If the admins of this site find that to be a bad idea, please remove them.  Even though I'm not an egg owner, I feel that I can contribute in other ways with my cooking experience.  For me, cooking is like my photography hobby.  It's not as much about the tools used as the final product :)  I hope you will have me.

Thanks!

John Setzler
    Valdese, North Carolina
    You're practically a neighbor. I live down the road near Charlotte. I get the final product analogy you used in regards to your photography hobby. Much like bum wine compared to Glenfiddich. Either will work depending upon how you choose to arrive. I actually checked that unit at Lowe's in Belmont NC before I bought my LBGE but would have felt like I settled for much less than I deserve. Additionally, being part of the egghead comradery is a great source of justifiable pride that trumps any lesser kamado regardless of the price tag.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

but at the end of the day... the BGE is the standard that everyone measures there cooker against....even I can figure this one out....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC