Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got done installing a Rutland....

Options
Royal Coachmen
Royal Coachmen Posts: 283
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hope I did I right! Wind was howling but it was 70 degrees out (in Indiana) so I wasn't going to miss the opportunity. It was dark when I finished so I couldn't see how good or bad my work was. I also couldn't gauge how well the lid shut.

I will say, the whole process wasn't as bad as I thought and I'm not Mr. Handy. I just followed Naked Whiz's instructions and the whole process took about an hour uninterrupted.

I have not cured the glue by heating up the egg due to the crazy wind and rapidly dropping temps. I hope this does not effect the process.

Anyone else have comments on the process?

Thanks

Comments

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options

I put a high que gasket on mine about two months ago. The difference in thickness of the two gaskets was more than I realized. I kind of panicked when the lid wouldnt shut. After calming down and looking at it I realized I needed to raise the lower metal band just a little. It shuts good now

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • maxPowers
    maxPowers Posts: 38
    Options
    A new gasket is on my to-do list for this weekend, but I just can't seem to find a 24 hour window when I am willing to not use the egg!
  • GADuckaholic
    Options
    I just put on a Rutland last weekend myself. It was a very easy process. Scraping off the old gasket took longer than putting the Rutland on. I used the Whiz's directions at a guide. It was much easier than i thought reading through his instructions. Seems like he was overly detailed in order to err on the side of caution, which i can totally appreciate. A couple of small adjustments on the bands and I was ready to rock! I did burn a fire at about 250 for an hour or so just to be safe.