Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When to add wood

Options
shmoony
shmoony Posts: 17
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm always going back and forth on when to add my wood for smoke. I want to add it before I put in the plate setter and drip pan so I can get the whole setup up to even consistant temp, but f i do that, I am wasting a lot of good smoke. If I get it up to temp without the plate setter and drip pan, the temp drops and it is hard to regulate for the first half hour or so of cooking because of the added room temp mass. I suppose I could get it up to temp with the plate setter and drip pan, pull them out, add the wood, and replace them, but that is a pain and somewhat dangerous. I am doing ribs today, and I am hoping someone will give me a tried and true method for the process.I am using oak chunks and they won't fit around the side of the plate setter in case any of you were going to suggest that. Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I always stabilize the temperature without the platesetter then once I have the stable temp I add the wood, then the platesetter and the meat. It will take 1/2 hour or more for the dome temp to get back to 250º but it seems to work out fine for me.  I do my best not to play with the vent settings after I have added the meat, only if something really weird were to happen like a 100º drop in temperature.  I think in a case like that it would be my fault in any case because I would not have properly stabilized the temperature.

Gerhard
  • EZEGG
    EZEGG Posts: 49
    Options
    I usually add the chunks spread out in the lump and one or two in the middle on top...  I dump the lit lump on top in the middle and let the fire spread to the rest of the wood.  I bring the egg up to temp and by the time its there I have thin blue smoke rolling.  Never had a shortage of smoke and never too much or any harshness.
    Eric O. RMBBQA Member Blog - http://smokeontherockies.com/ Large Big Green Egg
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    This is what I do. I use chunks, about half the size of you fist, about three for a low and slow cook. I use chips for for all other cooks. Don't soak anything. On a low and slow I start the fire, add the chunks, add plate setter and drip pan. When the smoke gets a bluish color to it I add the meat. Works for me. Most of the time I use Hickory, however I tried Pecan chunks with good results. Pecan gives a little sweeter flavor. Good luck.

Bob
    Alex City Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    I'm one of the dangerous ones. :-)  For low and slow, I light the lump in the middle, add the p.s. and let it stabalize. I then pull the p.s.add the wood,p.s., drip pan , and meat. takes about one minute once you get the routine down.I use my p.s. legs up for smoking.drip pan on "egg feet"
    More meat please !! :-)