Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

maverick 732 or thermapen?

Options
burntbrisket
burntbrisket Posts: 22
edited February 2012 in Root
I noticed that a lot of people speak highly of both the maverick and the thermapen.  I don't see the advantage to having both.  If you have a maverick what is the need for the thermapen?

Comments

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Two different things - for two different purposes.

Maverick is a dual probe - remote.   So I can go in the house - see what is happening with heat of the egg and the meat.   Constant monitoring at a glance -- with alarms.   Keeps me from getting out of bed during the night.   If you do not do long, low and slow cooks - maverick impact decreases in my mind.

Thermapen -- instantaneous reading of temp when probing.    I used to check temps with the old dial type, hand would get warm holding it.   Heaven forbid repositioning for other readings.   With the thermapen - stab in half a dozen places - know whats happening through out.

Maverick is for monitoring.   Thermapen for instant checks, probes.    ( note, we use the thermapen inside in the kitchen almost as much as outside ).

Cookin in Texas
  • Austex_Egger
    Options
    Basically, different uses.  Maverick (probe type) primarily for low and slow type cooks and the Thermapen for grilling and checking temps.  My cooking improved significantly with a Thermapen as I would have a tendency to overcook chicken breasts and such.  I think it is impractical to use a probe type (Maverick) for grilling (not that it can't be done).

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I have both and love both for the different reasons listed above.  If you can only afford one, check what you will use it for and buy accordingly.  If only low/slow, I say maverick, if steaks and fast cooks, I say thermopen.  If you can buy both, then you are truly the man/woman.