Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quail and questions

Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

Company coming to town this weekend. The guys will be egging all day Saturday. One guy is bringing some quail. Has anyone cooked them on the egg before? If so, what method, and what did you put on them? Pics are welcomed!!!

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Bet the answer has BACON in it :@)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

I'll bet you're right!  :D
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Chubbs

Mickey, you were one of the ones I expected to reply with nice photos of the cook and some guidance!! Not an emoticon of a pig!

Come on brother, show me some love!!

• no bacon in this

hand rub them with Tony Chachere's, put it the fridge for an hour or two

combine and melt in a saucepan equal portions of

lemon juice

butter

Zatarain's creole mustard

take quail out of fridge...rub again

dip in sauce then grill and baste while grilling

• Chubbs
    There we go... thanks birddog... I will definitely do that with some of them. I think he is bringing a ton of them so I may do several batches and try a bunch of different methods. As usualy, I will report back with pics.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Never cooked them on an Egg - but have alot inside the house.   Would think they might dry out pretty fast - but sounds awesome.   Let us know how they turn out.

Cookin in Texas
  • I spatchcock them and do them raised direct at high heat. I cook them to about 145* for domestic quail. I heard somewhere that that was the safe temp.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Mickey, you were one of the ones I expected to reply with nice photos of the cook and some guidance!! Not an emoticon of a pig!

Come on brother, show me some love!!

:-? Never cooked them.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

•  

Here's some

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chubbs
    LS, are they tough to Spatch?
  • Nah, way easier than chicken. Tough to de-bone though

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• As long as you don't overcook and/or dry them out you can't go wrong with quail.  Along with pheasant it is one of my absolute favorite things to eat.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • Chubbs

As in keel bone? Hell on a chicken, I never even pull it out. I just push down and crack the bones after i remove the back bone to make sure it lays flat. I have never had good luck removing the keel bone. Guess I need to polish my skills with the knife.

Hell we will probably be a few beers in by the time the quail get cooked Saturday so no clue what will come of those

:D