Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking about buying a dutch oven

Options
cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
1 month in with my XL egg and I am hooked. I received a bunch of accessories for Christmas before I even owned the egg. Now that I have it, I would really like to have a dutch oven for cooking various dishes. The problem is that all of the dutch ovens I've seen are cast iron. I would like to store it outside, but that is definitely not a good idea for cast iron.

Has anyone seen or does anyone own a stoneware/ceramic dutch oven. I think that would be a perfect compliment to the egg. I tried a google search but didn't have much luck.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• SandBilly
    Options
    I would go cast, season and oil it well, wrap in a trash bag when storing.
  • paulheels
    Options
    There are ceramic coated CI Dutch oven. Le Creuset. They are expensive. Ceramics should hold up. But I don't know for sure.
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • exspo
    exspo Posts: 51
    Options
    I've done several dishes withba dutch oven on the egg and they are awesome. Chili was especially good. I have an all iron Lodge dutch oven. Ithought the ceramic ones would get blackened by the fire, and mine was $35 instead of $140.
  • stevesails
    Options

the lodge cast iron is fine.   works great in the xl.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• smokinsooner
    Options

The Le Creuset Paulheels speaks of is next on my list of things to get. Bed Bath and Beyond has them...and they are PRICEY!

We have one Dutch oven and it works great, but there are times when two or three would be nice! (we're gonna have to build an addition onto the kitchen at this rate)

BOOMER!
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Options
    I'd just buy the lodge and store it in your oven when not in use. That's what I do. The problem with enameled cast iron is that you truely get what you pay for. I have a Le Creuset but would never consider using it in my egg. The extreme temps and live fire would destroy the enameling. We even have a few Dansk dutch ovens from the 60's and I wouldn't trash em cooking with them on the egg. A cheapy seasoned DO is your best bet.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I'll probably buy a Lodge cast iron DO. I saw one on their web site yesterday that had a top that flipped over to make a cast iron skillet. That would make a great drip pan. It would also be good for lots of other things as well.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    I think Le Creusets are way overrated and overpriced.  We have several, and two of the oldest ones have stained beyond repair.  Season a CI dutch oven well and you can't beat it.  Much cheaper too.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• bge30plus
    Options

Lodge makes a great Dutch ovens and le creuset does also.,

Living the good life in MACDonna
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
    I love my Le Crueset but would not dream of putting it on the egg. The enameling would crack and split. Just get a lodge cast iron and you will be more than happy with it.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    I think Le Creusets are way overrated and overpriced.  
    ^^ Totally agree.

You can't go wrong with Lodge Cast Iron, IMO.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    ive used a bunch in the egg. lecrueset, lodge, cheap castiron enamelled knockoff from marshals department store. the lecruesset really is a nice piece but there is no benefit for egg use over the marshalls knockoff, where a lecruesett really shines is on a simmer plate. i like my seasoned lodge camp dutch oven for some cooks like potroast and stews but for everyday use in an egg the marshals brand enameled is best for me, i dont like the taste of tomatoes cooked in a seasoned pan or pot so give me the enameled castiron knockoff for egg use. in the egg i also use earthen clay bean pots, stone pot  for cheese dips (i think this one is a korean rice cooker), glass lasagna casseroles, corning ware, copper tin lined pots and cataplanas. all of those work as a dutch oven, the glass one always makes me nervous
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    I love my Le Crueset but would not dream of putting it on the egg. The enameling would crack and split. Just get a lodge cast iron and you will be more than happy with it.
    it actually works very well in the egg
    fukahwee maine

• Mike8it
    Options
    The Le Crueset's are only rated for around 400 degrees, I would be concerned of putting a couple hundred dollar Dutch oven on the egg. Still think the lodge would be the way to go. Just my opinion though and I am certainly not very intelligent :-B
  • fishlessman
    Options
    its the plastic knob that cant take the heat, they sell an upgrade or you can simply not use the cover in the egg. people are cleaning their lecrueset in the oven set at self cleaning mode. i still would rather use the marshals brand i have at camp. a seasoned lodge wont work for him, he wants to store it outside.

cortguitarman,  i also use a deep turkey roaster made of stainless with a layered aluminum bottom, its a big deep roaster, maybe 9 quarts, it makes a great dutch oven, its my go too turkey soup pot
    fukahwee maine

• Deckchef
    Options
    I have a lodge ci and it is great. Can't beat the price and my favorite dish is the chili !! Smoked flavored chili unbelievable! You won't regret it
  • Mike8it
    Options
    One last though than I moving on. If the only reason not to buy a very affordable non-enameled Dutch oven is storing it outside why not simply buy a waterproof container to store it in. This way you can have the best of both worlds. Purchase a nice affordable cast iron Dutch oven without worrying about the elements or the possible side effects of high heat and direct flame on the enamel. Just a thought and sorry about beating a dead horse.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    enameling isn't going to crack and split in the egg.  not sure how the le crueset can tell the difference between natural gas flames on high, direct, and the fire in a BGE.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Options
    VI.....my Le Creuset pieces are also stained. According to personnel at there Allen outlet, Le Creuset has a lifetime warranty. Not sure where you return them...I'll try and find out.
    Fairview, Texas
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have several pieces of le creuset and would not think about putting them in the egg. I think the others are spot on with buying a cheaper one, seasoning it well, and then replacing it down the road if you need to. You can buy several Lodge CIDO for the price of one le creuset Now for indoor cooking, Le Creuset cannot be beat in my opinion. After all, it is the green egg of indoor cookware!!!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mike8it
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Stike - since tweev hasn't chimed in to much and I know how much you like links to Internet sites check these out about the open flame and enameled Dutch ovens on grills. It appears that you may be able to use on the grill but it is not recommended especially on the lodge model. I am just messing around and killing time at work and for the original poster of this topic I would listen to Stike- he is very knowledgeable. I just can't resist messing with stike a bit.

Using Your Lodge Enamel Cast Iron

Your Lodge Enamel Cast Iron can be used for almost any cooking technique, gas, electric, ceramic*,  induction and in the oven.  It is not recommended for use on outdoor grills or over open outdoor flames. 

http://www.lodgemfg.com/use-care-enamel.asp

http://cookware.lecreuset.com/cookware/product_7-1/4-QT.-Round-French-Oven_10151_-1_20002_10111_

Gas flames must always be confined to the base area, and must never extend around the sidewalls of the pan. Long handles should be positioned safely where they do not hang over the front of the stove or other heat zones.

Cooking heats

Medium or low heat will provide the best results for cooking, including frying and searing. Allow the pan to heat gradually and thoroughly for even and efficient cooking results. Once the pan is hot, almost all cooking can be continued on lower settings.

High heat temperatures should only be used for boiling water for vegetables or pasta, or for reducing the consistency of stocks or sauces. High heats should never be used to preheat a pan before lowering the heat for cooking. Cast iron retains heat so efficiently that overheating will cause food to burn or stick.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    I have several pieces of le creuset and would not think about putting them in the egg. I think the others are spot on with buying a cheaper one, seasoning it well, and then replacing it down the road if you need to. You can buy several Lodge CIDO for the price of one le creuset Now for indoor cooking, Le Creuset cannot be beat in my opinion. After all, it is the green egg of indoor cookware!!!
    and that was my recomendation with a cheaper enamelled cast iron. marshals target, walmart all have them. you can get a lodge 6 quart enamelled dutch from walmart for under 50 bucks, the cheaper ones from marshals for under 40 bucks work just as well. if you do have lecresett already though, nothing wrong with using it

my turkey pot, has a deep section and shallow section for braising searing, simmering roasting, most practical big pot i own

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/fishlessman/003-2.jpg[/IMG]

lecruesett braiser with some oxtail and rib bones

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/fishlessman/DSC_0169-1.jpg[/IMG]

the turkey pot cover for braising

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/fishlessman/DSC_0104-1.jpg[/IMG]

the turkey pot for roasting in the shallow section

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/fishlessman/DSC_0089.jpg[/IMG]

guinness and lamb stew in a lecruestt

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/fishlessman/DSC_0356.jpg[/IMG]

sausage soup in lecrusett

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/fishlessman/DSC_0270.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/fishlessman/DSC_0278.jpg[/IMG]

fishlessman stew in a cataplana

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/fishlessman/100_1116.jpg[/IMG]

bean pots

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/fishlessman/2005004544.jpg[/IMG]

stone bowl

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/fishlessman/100_0369.jpg[/IMG]

castiron with tomato based stew, tasted metalic to me, dont like this combo

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/fishlessman/100_0247.jpg[/IMG]

potroast in a lodge ci

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/fishlessman/DSC_0451.jpg[/IMG]
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    Stike - since tweev hasn't chimed in to much and I know how much you like links to Internet sites check these out about the open flame and enameled Dutch ovens on grills. It appears that you may be able to use on the grill but it is not recommended especially on the lodge model. I am just messing around and killing time at work and for the original poster of this topic I would listen to Stike- he is very knowledgeable. I just can't resist messing with stike a bit.

Using Your Lodge Enamel Cast Iron

Your Lodge Enamel Cast Iron can be used for almost any cooking technique, gas, electric, ceramic*,  induction and in the oven.  It is not recommended for use on outdoor grills or over open outdoor flames. 

http://www.lodgemfg.com/use-care-enamel.asp

http://cookware.lecreuset.com/cookware/product_7-1/4-QT.-Round-French-Oven_10151_-1_20002_10111_

Gas flames must always be confined to the base area, and must never extend around the sidewalls of the pan. Long handles should be positioned safely where they do not hang over the front of the stove or other heat zones.

Cooking heats

Medium or low heat will provide the best results for cooking, including frying and searing. Allow the pan to heat gradually and thoroughly for even and efficient cooking results. Once the pan is hot, almost all cooking can be continued on lower settings.

High heat temperatures should only be used for boiling water for vegetables or pasta, or for reducing the consistency of stocks or sauces. High heats should never be used to preheat a pan before lowering the heat for cooking. Cast iron retains heat so efficiently that overheating will cause food to burn or stick.
    and taken from the same lecruesett site

Le Creuset cast iron cookware can be used on all heat sources including
    gas, electric solid plate or radiant ring, vitro-ceramic glass,
    induction, and ovens fired by gas, oil, coal or wood

you CAN set your egg up inderect and use it as an oven
    fukahwee maine

• Mike8it
    Options
    Hey fish any recipes for those cooks? They sound delicious
  • stike
    Options
    mike8it:  looks like you are right.  i guess they don't want flames up the sides.  although in an egg that isn't likely to happen.  but they do say there's a difference.

would be good if they said why, but if they say no open fire, i guess no open fire.

i can't see it cracking, maybe more a cleaning issue.  but dunno

i DO know a few folks here have Creuset that they use on the BGE wth no issues.

i have a D.O. myself (no enamel)
  • Mike8it
    Options
    No right or wrong on this one. I think the main thing is Le Crueset is expensive and there are other more viable options out there for a Dutch oven to be used on an egg. A lot of people buy the Le Crueset not only because it cooks very evenly but because of the aesthetics and there is a good chance the eggs soot could discolor the pot. This has been a fun conversation and has helped killed a little time at work today!!
  • stike
    Options
    hey fish... how did you get you name to show up onver in the "who's online" thing?  everyone else has a little head or avatar, but you have your full name, crowding out three spots.  how selfish of you.
    :))
  • bge30plus
    Options
    I have used Le Crueset in my egg forever and have not had any problems? Even the smoke washes off with soap and water, clean as new.
    Living the good life in MACDonna
  • fishlessman
    Options
    I think Le Creusets are way overrated and overpriced.  We have several, and two of the oldest ones have stained beyond repair.  Season a CI dutch oven well and you can't beat it.  Much cheaper too.
    my lodge cast iron is so stained its a shiney black.
    :)) what i dont like is the preseasoned lodge, i have one i cooked some tomatoes down in and that season lifted all over the place, little flakes, it almost needs to be sanded off but i keep cooking in it, after several years its almost right but then it poxs off in an area again. would rather have the pan you season yourself than any of the preseasoned ones.. does the stain in the lecruestt effect cooking or is it just not as pretty anymore
    fukahwee maine

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited February 2012
    Options
    . does the stain in the lecruestt effect cooking or is it just not as pretty anymore

It cooks fine.  It's just not pretty.  Bleach, scrubbing, oven cleaner, etc. won't get it back.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious