Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

newbie- accessories large egg

lovetheeggvt
lovetheeggvt Posts: 1
edited February 2012 in Root

Getting a bit overwelmed with web on looking for accessories , we need a few things still, plate setter, baking stone, grill extender maybe , what sites do you all use for best pricing ? Can I use my pizza stone that I have used in oven for years, wow so much to learn , we are both reading and looking at stuff constantly and dont even the the egg till middle of this week!!!  Any other things we may need, we have the grate lifter and ash remover.

Patti

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    For me the only absolute initial "accessory" was something to do the indirect cooks (aka low&slow).  Why BGE doesn't include that with the standard set-up is beyond me.  So, that accessory (necessity...) was a plate setter.  That said, check out the cermaic grill store  for more functional/adaptable ways to achive the indirect cooks along with raised grids etc before you make any purchases.  You will save $$ in the long haul.  Welcome and enjoy-this BGE is habitforming.  By chance from Vermont?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nineee
    nineee Posts: 41

the plater setter was essential for me.  Yes, you can use your regular pizza stone.  I raised my stone by placing the little feet that come with the BGE, on the plate setter and then the stone on top.  It was recommended by others.  Heat your stone prior to placing the pizza.

Yeah, it can be overwhelming once you start reading but I have not bought any of the other aggcessories until I learn what I really need.

Hey, be careful with the ceramic lid.  Mine fell off and broke the second week I had the egg.  I did buy the grill cover and when I removed it, the ceramic lid fell off and broke.  It's happened to others.  I repaired it with jb Weld.

Do as they recommend and start with about 3 low cooks before firing it up over 400 degrees.  They say it can damage the gasket if your first fire is really high.  Good luck.  You're going to love the BGE.  Nina in KY 

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I skipped the plate setter and got this combo (I have the XL version):
    http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-woo3-13-round-ceramic-stone/

This is more versatile for cooking meats as it gives you the ability to cook indirect, raised direct, and to add a cast iron grate and cook a little closer to the fire.

I used my pizza stone for indirect cooking before I got the combo in the link.  I did not take the stone to ubber high temps for pizza making, but it worked just fine as a heat diffuser to long and slow cooks.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Immediately go to the ceramic grill store and buy a couple of different size pizza stones, stainless steel pizza pan and a woo3. Skip the plate setter. I use this combo for most cooking of roast, meatloaf, pizza and currently a black forest ham.

Get a maverick 732 and a thermopen.

That will be a good start
    Mike
  • I skipped the plate setter and got this combo (I have the XL version):
    http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-woo3-13-round-ceramic-stone/

This is more versatile for cooking meats as it gives you the ability to cook indirect, raised direct, and to add a cast iron grate and cook a little closer to the fire.

I used my pizza stone for indirect cooking before I got the combo in the link.  I did not take the stone to ubber high temps for pizza making, but it worked just fine as a heat diffuser to long and slow cooks.
    Ragtop does this allow you to do indirect smoking ok? I just got my LBGE couple weeks ago and I am debating on the Lrg AR customer combo setup but the Woo 3 combo is about half the price. Is the stone big enough to do indirect smoking well? I plan on grilling, smoking, woking and baking eventually. Would rather not overspend if not going to need it. Thanks!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited February 2012
    Nightwing:

It is perfect for smoking.  That's the main reason I got it.  For less than the cost of the plate setter, it provides the indirect set-up and gives you raised direct which is handy for chicken and fish.  The ceramic stone that comes on the combo is sized to provide the correct airflow for smoking. 

In the interest of full disclosure, my experience is on the XL, but I saw a lot of good reviews on both sizes of eggs before buying.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • I would assume that the stone for the large setup would be proportionate. I just want to make sure to have good heat deflection and smoke. I also did a spatchcock last week and used bricks to raise my grid. It sounds like this would be perfect for my needs without the cost of the AR. Thanks Ragtop! Preciate the feedback!!
  • Can't speak to the woo, but I love my AR setup...with the stone(s) indirect is no problem.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    feel free to call me if you want to talk it through.....number is on the site....I make the stuff.  tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Thanks for the awesome products Tom! Love my CGS accessories!
  • Tom I have heard great things about your products and your customer service. I will be calling and look forward to talking to you. Thanks!
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Thanks for the awesome products Tom! Love my CGS accessories!
    Plus 1! :)
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • My number one "got to have" accessories are lump and a lighter. Best things ever for the egg. Oh and the Maverick et732. And beer. And meat. Almost forgt, the ash tool. And a weight loss plan!

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.