Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger spice rub recommendation

Options
cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am having a big get together in 2 weeks and I'm going to make burgers on the egg. I already have a great burger recipe that I always use. However, I wanted to see if anyone could recommend a seasoning to really kick up the flavor. I'll be in Shillington, PA next week and was planning on stopping at Fred's Music & BBQ. I know they have their own line of rubs there. Has anyone used Fred's spices? Any recommendations?

Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    edited February 2012
    Options

I enjoy messing around with spices and rubs.  One of my favorite "blends" for burgers and steak is standard Montreal (aka Canadian steak seasoning) to which I addd Emeril's essence and some cayenne pepper.  Really kicks it up a notch or two.  Bam

Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    Options
    I THINK HE HAS ONE JUST FOR BURGERS.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited February 2012
    Options
    If there are 1,000 people on the forum, you'd probably get 975 different recommendations.  Dizzy Pig brand seems to have a lot of BGE followers, and there are several "flavors" of that.  John Henry also makes some good spices.

Another addition that comes up on the forum quite often is the addition of fish sauce to the hamburger meat.  That brings out the umami of the meat to really "kick up the flavor".

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• cortguitarman
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations. @ VI, I expected lots of variety in the spices people use. I love topics like this because there are so many things to use. I might learn a few new ideas that I can use for future cooks. I'll keep trying them until I find one that works for me. It must be the teacher in me. I love learning new things!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    +1 on fish sauce.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • GreenhawK
    Options
    I do mine just like my steaks.  I use Montreal some, Cowlick, and a couple of others.

Large BGE Decatur, AL