Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fruit on the BGE

Options
hsh750
hsh750 Posts: 30
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Tried some fruit Kabobs on the BGE tonight for desert. Would have a picture but they were gone to quick. Fruit is good for you, but grilled on the BGE makes fruit good and good for you. Simple fruit bowl of mixed fruit from Walmart coated with a mixture of butter, molasses, and brown sugar. Fine eating.

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    That sounds good...I grill peaches and pineapple all the time...those with some vanilla ice cream are a fantastic dessert!
  • hsh750
    Options
    I have grilled pineapple quite a bit. I have seen where people do all kinds of fruit that is firm. I used to do a mixed fruit dish just baked in the oven. But this had cantalope, honey dew melon grapes and strawberries along with pineapple and kiwi fruit. very good.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Did you coat with the butter/molasses/brown sugar before or after grilling? I bet it would be good either(or both)!
  • hsh750
    Options
    Coated before and after.
  • tmackie
    Options
    I have the Fruit Rings that BGE markets. The wife and I cook Fuji and Granny Smith Apples all the time. 

First you core the apple and put a mound of butter in it then add a heap of brown sugar and cinnamon. Apple pie without the crust! Bake at 350* or so for 20-30 min
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I've halved some pears, cored them then put a little brown sugar and cinnamon on them.  Serve with vanilla ice cream, very good.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    grilled plum and peaches, with a little homemade ice cream. can't be beat.
     more of a summer thing, here.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Impressive stike....are you a food stylist? Looks magazine worthy.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Stike, looks great. I attempted Tweevs apple pie in an apple on the egg last night. See other post about apples for pics. It was my first time doing fruit on the egg and it it was a success.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • stike
    Options
    "tweev's" apple pie.  hahaa
    mine are at least actual food that i cooked... 

i'll check for your post. were they good? they were baked, right? can't go wrong with baked apples.  done them too, but they aren't as photogenic .  the lattice work ones looked pretty cool
  • hsh750
    Options
    I have the apple/pie on my list to do next. I decided to get a little head start on the fruit thing so I can be ready for the summer. I will probably do fruit every day and throw some meat in for desert maybe once a week or so.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    "tweev's" apple pie.  hahaa
    mine are at least actual food that i cooked... 

i'll check for your post. were they good? they were baked, right? can't go wrong with baked apples.  done them too, but they aren't as photogenic .  the lattice work ones looked pretty cool

I did the lattice ones. They were great.
  • smokinsooner
    Options
    One of the first cooks I did on the BGE included the Praline Peaches out of the BGE cookbook!
    BOOMER!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    I may get banned/disbarred/Eggscommunicated for this, but...

but...

I actually prefer my gasser for doing my favorite summer dessert, grilled peaches; the smoke just didn't work for me on them.  I cut them in half, grill them a couple minutes face-down, then turn them cut-side-up, sprinkle with brown sugar and put a tablespoon of Capt Morgan's Spiced Rum in the "pit", and grill a couple more minutes; serve with vanilla ice cream.
    Its the only thing I've discovered that I didn't prefer cooked on the Egg.  Please forgive me... 
    :-S

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Nice knowing you Botch. :)
    Impressive stike....are you a food stylist? Looks magazine worthy.
    This is why the rest of us post so few pictures. Plus my wife thinks I'm nuts when I photograph food. No telling what she would say if I started dressing it up.

@ Stike
    Very nice
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • stike
    Options
    I wouldnt want smoke on the peaches either. Clean fire, no smoke for such a short cook. Dome open, too

Thanks for the kinds words re: the photos. The 'other' forum has some really good pohtographers, and for a while there, there were a lot of us trying to keep up.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Plus my wife thinks I'm nuts when I photograph food. No telling what she would say if I started dressing it up.

Gato, mine too!! Our camera has been sitting around for months then I get an egg and am constantly taking photos of my cooks now. I think she thinks I am crazy. If I started dressing plates she might think I have lost it.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Yep, mine says I can't wait to tell everybody about this. We are so misunderstood.
    Geaux Tigers!!!