Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you start your egg?

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    For low and slow:
    Clean and fill the egg. Take a cube and break it in half.  Put them near the center about 8" apart from each other.

For mid temp cooks such as chicken:
    Add new lump to a chimney.  If I don't need to add a full chimney's worth of new lump, I then put some old lump on top.  Set over the external burner on my gas grill for five minutes.  Turn off burner and wait another five minutes.  I don't like using newspaper to start BBQ fires as it leaves a bit of a mess.

For high temp cooks:
    Same as mid range but I fill 2 chimneys and as soon as the first as had its five minute head start the second chimney goes on the burner.  2 Chimneys gives the XL hot coals everywhere if you have a lot of steaks to do.  If it just a couple steaks, I do just one chimney.

I'm tempted to get a weed burner.  The torch looks like fun and I have extra propane tanks.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • I have always used a chimney. Works fine and is reliable, but it requires that I either add new charcoal to the egg, or dig the old stuff out and put it in the chimney for lighting.

Yesterday, I ran across Diamond fire starters. They were $7 for 48 so I decided to give them a try. I lit one, broke it in half, put it on the charcoal, opened the top and bottom vents, closed the lid, and went in the house. Came out a little while later and the temperature was over 600! These things seem to work great and are easier than the chimney.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    paper napkins drizzled (lightly, not at all soaked) in oil (veggie, olive, etc.).

twist and light.  burns clean (unlike starter cubes which can snuff out and smolder), gets it going fast (i have a weedburner too, but paper napkin 90% of the time), and is faster than maap, propane hand-helds.

haven't tried alcohol, but i can imagine running out of isopropyl alcohol.  but i always have cooking oil on hand. also understand (but have not experienced) that the isopropyl behaves differently in cold weather
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Chimney starter stuffed with the brown paper bags I save from the liquor store.  2 bags work great!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

I use a heat gun. Same thing as the looft lighter but costs $20 at home depot. Basically its an 1100 degree hair dryer.

• 91% propylene alcohol from Walmart or any drug store. Works great, fast, easy and cheap as hell.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Looftlighter.  Works great and much safer than a torch.  Go to YouTube and watch the video.  Used mine last night and within about ten minutes we were up to about 800 degrees (didn't mean for that to happen, but it did).
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited February 2012
    I use this:

Bernzomatic_Quickfire

And have been very satisfied w/ it.

There's just something cool w/ being able to play w/ fire like that which makes it cooler ;)

BTW, I agree w/ the philosophy someone above stated about just relaxing & enjoying the "Eggsperience" - but it became a bit of a debate between my GF & me when she became hesitant in using the Egg because she felt it took too much time & effort to get to temp, and said she'd rather just fire up the oven. I told her that I could have the Egg up to 500 degrees before the oven reached that, and she didn't believe me. I think I could've done it w/ just the paraffin squares, but low & behold, after getting the torch - she now believes me (but she still likes it better when I light the Egg - that way I smell like smoke & not her) heheh
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • i like to use the Harbor Freight weed burner.

I love the sound it makes.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Weed burner all the way....had to find something to do with the two tanks of propane I had on hand.
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    My advice is slow down and enjoy the experience (cold beer). I light with one cube, split in half and placed in two different places. The high que grate mentioned earlier is a must. Never dump your charcoal into the egg. I remove all unused charcoal from the previous cook and place the cube directly on the grate and light. Then I place large pieces on the flames and wait maybe two minutes before adding the remaining charcoal. Ready to go in 10 - 15 min.

Agree...don't know what the hurry is, unless you live where its really cold.  ;)

For me it is approx 1-2 beers and 2 or 3 strategically places lighter squares.  :D

• Use either cube starter or the paper towel and oil. Mostly the later, when the hi que comes it will be paper underneath, hope it works.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Currently using a Propane torch, but highly considering going to a weed burner.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• I'm sorry I'm late. But I use the reverse osmological benzopropalinamatic archeroil vegetablecriscoholic method. GOogle it
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
     (unlike starter cubes which can snuff out and smolder),
    I had that problem occasionally and had to use bellows to get them going again.  Since I've started breaking them in half, I haven't had that problem.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • on the seriousness tho, half paper towels, a little veggie oil, and a lighter.  works GREAT!

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Currently using a Propane torch, but highly considering going to a weed burner.
    I consider them to be one in the same
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • Those that use newspaper with high que fire grates; How many sheets do you use?  Shove it in? Roll it up?  Got mine today and just kinda crammep a sheet of newspaper into the fire box and lit it. then added more paper as it burned down.  Worked well and quickly.  Awful smokey tho.  Maybe a drop or two of oil to the paper?

• I'm almost out of starters..  Do I squirt the alcohol directly on the lump "starter fluid" style?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Mapp Torch, one place for low and slow, 5-8 for high temp.

Mike
    Omaha

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE

• I'm almost out of starters..  Do I squirt the alcohol directly on the lump "starter fluid" style?
    Make sure it's the 91% alcohol. Squirt it evenly spaced into the lump about 3 or 4 spots. Yes, similar to lighter fluid but in more concentrated areas, not everywhere. Give a nice squirt. (if your bottle doesn't squirt, use a pin to create a small hole in the tamper-proof seal or cap.)

Wait a few seconds for the fumes to dissipate and then light one of the spots. It won't burst into flames like you might think, but be careful nonetheless. That's it, let it get up to temp and you're set.

LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I will be trying the alcohol method as soon as my BGE squares are gone.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited February 2012
    My advice is slow down and enjoy the experience (cold beer).....Ready to go in 10 - 15 min.
    Agree...don't know what the hurry is, unless you live where its really cold.  ;)

For me it is approx 1-2 beers and 2 or 3 strategically places lighter squares.  :D

I love this ^^ and totally agree! A cold beer (or 3) and getting the fire going are all part of the cook.   :D
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • what is the "high que grate"?
  • what is the "high que grate"?
    It's a replacement fire gate that allows for way more airflow.
  • Weed burner with map gas
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    i use a small cube and then blow air on it from my compressor, gets up to any temp quick.
  • I'm with Kristi, Joe, and Johnathan.  I start mine with isopropyl alcohol, and then start me with alcohol (in the form of cuba libras or margaritas. )   Both come to temp at about the same time.  

:))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    Electric Starter
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Yep, I'm usually in no hurry either.
    I am gonna try the alcohol method though.
    Geaux Tigers!!!