Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CG Works Swing Rack or CG Store Adjustable Rig??

Options
tmackie
tmackie Posts: 67
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have had my Large BGE since Christmas and am ready to upgrade my grate system.

I already have the platesetter & Cast Iron grate, but I want to upgrade. I am torn between the Swing Rack from ceramicgrillworks.com and the Adjustable Rig from ceramicgrillstore.com

At this point I'm leaning towards the Swing Rack since I already have the platesetter. For those of you that have one or the other of these (or both) please give me your thoughts on the advantages of each.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Long time lurker here. I don't really have a comment on the adjustable rig other than I think it's really cool.

I have the swing grate for my XL. I haven't had it very long, but I really like it a lot. The functionality works exactly as you would expect by looking at the videos. The quality of the materials is probably much higher than you expect. It's extremely solid...or at least it is for the XL. I actually feel like it's probably worth more than I paid for it based on the way it's built.

Couple of things you might not expect. The swing rack is adjustable but there is really a narrow range of practical height settings. If you go too low, you could either hit the side of the base when you swing out or the post below the main grate will hit your platesetter or indirect piece. For me, I think I've found the sweet spot for me and I plan on just leaving it there.

Also, there is a collar that drops below the post hole on the bottom grate by about 1.25 inch (it may be smaller on the large). This is a good thing because it gives the upper grate stability (when I was looking at pictures before I bought, I was afraid the upper grate would sag over time...I am no longer worried about this.) The down of that post is it's always hanging down so you have to account for this. I use a spider and the post collar just happens to line up with the inner ring of the XL spider. This isn't a problem when I'm using the spider like a diffuser (though I don't use a ceramic stone...just a drip pan because I'm not totally sure there's room for both) but if I want to flip the spider over and use it to get the main cooking grate closer to the felt level, I flip the main grate upside down so the spider doesn't hit that post. (I don't know if any of that will apply to you using a platesetter but just in case you ever decided to go that route in the future...)

One awesome thing about the swing grate that I didn't expect is the thing is freakishly non-stick. I really like that compared to the SS and cast iron grates I've used in the past. 

So far, I really like it and I'm very happy with my purchase. Hope this helps.

• hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I tried to post pictures but can't seem to get them to work.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

Not much more to add to what hogsfan said about the two tier swing grate. I love mine as well.

• Austex_Egger
    Options
    I've had a swing grate for my large for a few months now and love it.  Much better than the raised grid I made before.  The swing aspect in VERY handy.  Agree with hog about a narrow range on height adjust-ability.  I have mainly used mine during low and slows.  Would like to be able to lower the top a bit more,  but it hits the plate setter.  I'm considering cutting the rod, as I don't think I could ever raise it all the way up as it would hit the cover.

The only minor draw back is the things are made with very tight tolerances.  On mine,  practically have to use a hammer to take the rod out.   Very well constructed though.
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Options
    Like Hogsfan I found a level for the top swing rack that works for me and so I don't do much adjusting for height. The pivot rod does need to be pulled out occasionaly and cleaned or the gunk build-up can make it very difficult to remove.
    With the two racks there is a lot of grill space and being able to swing the top rack out gives good access to the food on the bottom.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • RustyBrainpan
    Options
    I have the adjustable rig and wouldn't trade it.  I enjoy the seemingly endless combination of cooking heights and grid combinations.  I added the slides for the oval grid so I can slide it in and out to tend to food on the lower level.  Granted this only works with the grids at the upper heights so that the sliding grid clears the Egg, but it is very useful for ribs in particular.  I use the spider and stone for the dutch oven and like it better than the plate setter for this purpose, although I do have the plate setter as well.  I also have the 13" BGE cast iron grate that sits well on the spider down close to the lump for searing.  Long and short of it is that you get a lot of flexibility with the adjustable rig and its individual components over just dual cooking surfaces.
  • tmackie
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys!

I went ahead and ordered the CGW Swing Grate. They are out of stock at the moment but Franco told me that it should be no more than 2 weeks.

I will report back once I receive it with some pics and a short review.
  • BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    Options
    I have had the CGW swing rack for a few months now and find it to be very flexible.  It has seasoned nicely and I just give it a quick brush before cooking.  Like Hogsfan mentioned when it is on the fire ring you have to make sure it is high enough to clear the edge of the grill.  I have also used in a rasied grid configuration by placing my original Egg grate on the fire ring, adding three empty cans and placing CGW grate on top of the cans (at somepoint I'll upgrate to firebricks).  In this config you will need to lower the upper grate in order to get grill dome to close.
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • JerkChicken
    Options
    I went with the Adjustable Rig. I like it overall, but find it a bit cumbersome. I wish I could have tried both before buying to see which is best for me. 
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I have both, and recommend both.  The AR is more versitile, but the swing rack is easier to use and clean.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • tmackie
    Options
    I'm sure I will order the Adjustable Rig at some point, but the Swing Rack just seemed the most logical for me at this point. Can't wait for it to come in!
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options

Swing rack for me too...I haven't run into the adjustability limitations yet.  I have it set where I can use both levels with the platesetter in and aside from a really tall butt or roast, I don't see many cuts I couldn't do in this configuration.  I pretty much completely switched to spatchcocking all my chicken so there's no issue with doing them either.

Quality is amazing...customer service is awesome...you won't regret it.  I am thinking about ordering a second one for my medium now.  B-)

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Okay-late to this party but I'm in the CGW 2 Tier rig camp- great accessory-adjustable height and the swivel makes easy access. Construction and functionality are top tier. I'm very satisfied although to be fair I have not used anything from cgs-know a few eggers who do use the cgs AR and like it but you have fixed heights and have to work for below the top level access.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jmsmrdk
    jmsmrdk Posts: 87
    edited February 2012
    Options
     "I actually feel like it's probably worth more than I paid for it based on the way it's built."

sounds like it was made in Pittsburgh.