Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's cookin tonight!

Options
GrillMeister
GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm smoking two rings of Burton's Green Onion Sausage with Guava wood. I normally use Hickory, but I'm betting the Guava chunk will work well too.[p]Ice Cold Beers![p]GrillMeister
Hot & Sunny in Austin

Cheers,

GrillMeister
Austin, Texas

Comments

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]Waaal, I went to Tom Thumb and they had their CAB ribeye (boneless) on sale for $7.99/lb so I got one of those and 2 bone-in for $5.99 per. Sprinkled the boneless with some Grilla Shaker and did a Trex on it. Came out tender as the day is long, but somewhat devoid of flavor. I am starting to wonder if it is me. Have I had that many good steaks that nothing hits me anymore? I've done Cowlick, Grilla, the old mustard/salt routine..and nada knocks me out. Sigh. Is it hot in here..or is it me?[p]mShark
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    I used some guava wood smoke tonight for two marinated pork tenderloins. Tenderloins, the key word here is tender and these melted in the mouth. High on the hog, those tenderloins are!
    Good luck with your onion sausage..Yummm.
    Clay

• Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Turkey legs with Dizzy Dust and Guava smoke. Good stuff : )

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]'Bout ready to pull off the smoked meatloaf from BBQ USA. I usally mix pork or beef with turkey, but tonight straight beef. I used a combo of oak and apple for smoke. I also used Emeril's BBQ sauce for the first time. I just didn't have time to make my own. I hope it is good. Also potato slices as a side.[p]Steve-B
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Basscat!
    How would you describe the flavor of the Guava smoke??
    Thanks
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    BurtonGreenOnionSausage.jpg
    <p />Ahhh, smoked at 250 for 1 hour on a grid extender with one chunk of Guava. The Guava added a subtle flavor to the wonderful flavor of this green onion sausage from Burton Sausage. This combination rocks!
    [ul][li]Burton Sausage, Where to get it.[/ul]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Hmmm, I'll try not to sound like a wine tasting ; ) but...
    It's lightly smokey, and a bit fruity. I've been pretty sold lately on pecan for poultry, and the Guava is similarly light and sweet, and a little, well, fruitier. Only had the stuff a week, so I'm still experimenting....[p]

• GrillMeister
    Options
    Mollyshark,[p]My latest TRex was a NY Strip with Dizzy Pig Cowlick and Garlic Salt. It was one of the best I've done in a while. Hmmmm Good.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]You know, I'll try that this weekend. DP and garlic salt. I like that.[p]mShark
  • clausenk
    clausenk Posts: 93
    Options
    Mollyshark,[p]Try cheap yellow mustard, lemon or lime juice, Goya adobo, and Dizzy Pig Cowlick. Its tasty![p]Clausen
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    Mollyshark,[p]Since Nature Boy doesn't put any salt in Cowlick, the Garlic salt gives a nice balance to the pepperyness of the Cowlick. It's a combination I'm gonna use again. I used McCormicks Garlic salt with the parsley flakes in it.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Eggecutioner
    Eggecutioner Posts: 628
    Options
    GrillMeister, Good news!!! According to Google Map it is only "1,431 mi (about 1 day 2 hours)" from my house!![p]Nice looking hunk of flesh. It has been 11 days since there has been charcoal burning in my egg... These spring projects are killing me...[p]Eggecutioner

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Those are some fine lookin snausages - I bet they're fine tastin too. Do you know if Burton ships around the country? They have a great selection. I think BigJim did a venison jalepeno sausage last weekend and it came from there. Dang good stuff. Joe

• Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    Options
    Mollyshark,[p]Maybve it is time to mix it up a bit and try a different meat - Get yourself a dry aged ribeye or a dry aged NY strip - It REALLY adds a whole new dimension to the taste! I have had several good ones from different place - most recently nimanranch.com.
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]That google option is pretty cool, eh? BTW, you can call in your order of sausage & ribs and it will be ready when you get there. If I were you, I might wait till, say you were 100 miles out though. LOL

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Big Jim
    Big Jim Posts: 50
    Options
    Smokin Joe, glad you enjoyed the sausage. It comes from my local butcher in Round Rock,TX. I will make sure that I bring some to next years TX Eggfest just for you.[p]Take care,
    Jim