Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco promotion Kamado - Updated

Options

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Bowhunr, that about states it all.  My pool had great tile, they all started falling off - didn't look so nice then.  Had to get the whole thing redone - and I am a much poorer man for it.  
  • John Ross
    John Ross Posts: 49
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I believe some of you might be referring to a company known once known, maybe still known as Imperial Kamado, out of San Diego. This a different company. The company with the poor reputation sells their Product on the website called kamadousa.com. This company was run by a man named Richard who apparently just ran the company into the ground with very poor customer service and a fundamental flaw in their tile design. The company was recently purchased by another owner who apparently is trying to salvage it's reputation. Without getting into specifics, Dennis Linkletter's Kamodo Kamado Company has their own unique patented design that prevents tile from falling off. Kamodo Kamados are sold at the website kamodokamado.com. While I would never pay that kind I money for a grill, it's not uncommon for grill enthusiasts to drop 2-3k + on a gas grilling island or a custom made brick oven in their backyards.
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    John, I agree with that, and up your 2-3K cost for the gas grille setup to $10K for many I know.  Funny thing, most of the people that get this do it all for look and are more than happy to cook me the best tasting hockey puck I have ever had.   
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Bowhunter, that cooker can't be a Komodo Kamado if 1/4 of the tiles fell off and it took a year to deliver it. .  Komodo Kamado delivers within 8-10 weeks and the worst tile loss every suffered on a Komodo Kamado was on their first models back in 2005 or so, when a few single tiles came off some of the cookers.

IrishDevl, Tiles do not pop off Komodo Kamados, and customer service is second to none.  The stories you have heard are about the Kamado company.  Yes, those cookers were portland cement, lava rock and chicken wire, and the the tiles often shed off in sheets.  Based on stories one can read at the Kamado Fraud Forum, the Kamado company appears to have been taking money and not delivering product, and not honoring their warranty. 

John Ross, it was Kamado that you are talking about. Imperial Kamado is yet another company.  And the bad Kamado company was at www.kamado.com.  The Kamado Grill company is at www.kamadousa.com.  And Dennis Linkletter's company is at www.komodokamado.com, not what you typed.

So, do not confuse the two.  Komodo Kamado is the best, Kamado was the
    worst.  Kamado sold their assets to Kamado Grills and the new folks
    appear to be trying to make an honest go of it.

I don't mean to be so picky, but it is really really important not to associate the crimes of Richard Johnson and Kamado with these other companies.
    The Naked Whiz
  • John Ross
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I could be wrong but Kamodo.com is no longer a working website. I read where Richard Johnson sold to Kamado Grill Co. Could be wrong, I prolly should got my facts straight b4 posting, but w the exception of the typo on their website meme, I think that's what I said...
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    John, yes, kamado.com is not working at the moment.  RJ tried to keep ownership of it, so it was placed in lockdown until the two companies lawyers sort it out, I guess.  RJ sold his assets, but appears to be trying to give the impression he is still in business as Kamado.  Kamado Grills is not pleased, and like I say, the lawyers are probably working on it.  I just wanted to point out the Imperial Kamado is yet another company and not associated with Kamado.  It's hard, isn't it? :)
    The Naked Whiz
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    Interesting, and I see your point; http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2.  Naked, very impressive, you certainly know what you are talking about.
  • John Ross
    Options
    Thanks for the info Whiz. Say, not to get personal, but, oh about ten years ago, when I got my small BGE, I discovered your site, and, by the way, great site, still love it. I know back in the day, outside of this forum, your forum was the go-to-place for Egg-heads all over the world. Knowing what a tight knit and loyal bunch the Egg-headers are, I was curious how it affected your site traffic when you brought the Kamodo Kamado on board, and while not in any way dissing Green Egg, you made it pretty evident that your go-to grill is now the Kamodo Kamado. Did you lose a portion of your followers when you took on Kamodo Kamado, or did you gain traffic.. or is about the same. Keep up the good work, your site's awesome.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    How much are they? Save us from all having to go look.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • John Ross
    edited February 2012
    Options
    lol...range from $2500-3500+
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    John,

Don't know about traffic, but essentially from very early on, it's been called a "ceramic charcoal cooking" web site.  While most of my expertise has been with Eggs, I've tried to generalize things for anyone who has a ceramic cooker where possible.  I've never been about one brand.  I also have a Kamado Joe that I like very much.  I use them all.

The Naked Whiz
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    Just went to the other website and the 23 inch was $3800.00 factory direct. LOVE my XLBGE even more now!!!!!!!!
    LET'S EAT
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    The L BGE is plenty of ceramic cooker for me...although I do already have my eye on a little sister for her.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • John Ross
    Options
    Not defending the price, certainly... but sometimes they  have models you can pick up from the dock, wherever that is, starting at about  $2200.00.  I think right now, the companies that are taking the biggest bite out of BGE's market share in the last five years or so, are Kamado Joe and Grill Dome. Both of which are proving to be formidable competitors in a market that is getting more and more crowded.
  • Egts
    Egts Posts: 27
    Options

I don't think that Grill Dome will be taking to much business with the know paint peeling problem.  This was my first ceramic grill.  I have to say that it cooked as good as my BGE XL that has replaced it, however the customer service IS NOT what people on GD forum say it is.  Unless you consider arguing with TK the owner.  By the way this grill was 6 months old when this happend.

• IrishDevl
    Options
    I see these two guys on youtube doing a bge vs grill dome all the time.  Didn't know paint chipping was an issue.  Nasty looking grill
  • Egts
    Egts Posts: 27
    Options
    I love the way that those guys on the internet market the GD is twice as thick as a BGE.  Though they are partially right they are also misleading.  The only place that a GD is twice as thick as a BGE is in the area of the bands where the base meets the lid.  Otherwise there is no discernable difference between wall thickness between the two grills.  I can post pictures to prove anyone wrong who says different.  Again, I'm not trying to say that the GD is a bad product, is it has produced BBQ just as good as my BGE.  It's just that some marketing tactics don't tell teh whole truth. 
  • MO_Smoke1
    Options
    You can get a KJ with a stand for $800.  Probably better than this.
  • John Ross
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Yeah, I would agree with you there, as I was saying, I wouldn't have bought it for $769, but for $499, couldn't pass it up, and btw, $800 for a lg KJ with stand? They are still significantly less than BGE. I thought their prices had gone about even with BGE, apparently not...
  • Andy Christy
    Andy Christy Posts: 3
    edited February 2012
    Options
    That is the same as the Avacado Kamado from Menards for around $500. I know because I own one. The only difference is the temp guage, shelves, & the adjustable cover. The one from Menards has a cast iron top & square shelves. It cooks great & holds heat great. I've had  ine for around 6 months now. It is made by Chargriller.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Congratulations, John Ross.  I think you are the first troll on this forum.  Hopefully, the last.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    John Ross and Andy Christy-

I think you guys should join the "something kinda like a BGE" forum. 

I hear they talk about how their forum is cheaper and almost as good as this one.

Enjoy.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited February 2012
    Options
    for me, what this illustrates is that BGE never had the foresight to trademark the profile and texture of the BGE.  the older kamados had a hand applied slip which gave it a raised dimpling.  Patted on (i'm guessing) to provide a pleasing finish, but also to smooth over any casting issues.  That texture is OBVIOUSLY important to BGE, because now, although the eggs are manufactured differently, that pattern has been reinterpreted by them as a negative impression pressed (cast actually) into the ceramic.  That is now a conscious design decision, made to give the egg a texture. Prhaps paying homage to the older tradition. But it's certainly not needed for production like the other texture was. Previously, it was part of the manufacture process. It's a design decision, for looks. And yet primo and a few others have the same pattern.

Perhaps it wasn't possible to trademark the hand-applied pattern (which was ancient, part of traditional casting), but they must have been able to trademark the new surface texture, color, etc.  Even the general appearance of the  BGE, the side tables being canted forward a bit, the daisy wheel (temps were formerly controlled only by the ceramic rain cap), the design and appearance of the nest.....  all these things can be trademarked (this is different than copyright, and different than patenting. don't conflate the three).

It just seems they didn't.

Primo was the first to rip-off the BGE.  and no, i don't mean the idea.  kamado cookers have been around for a coupla-few thousand years.  But the improvements, the profile, texture, even the color...   seems to me BGE let things slip.

Sure, you can go after someone (former employees were involved, lore has it) for stealing trade secrets or for other reasons, but if the thing had been trademarked, they'd have had a massive head start. 

I don't begrudge anyone improving on an idea, but even those who buy a cheaper version of something should be able to see that they are trading off the success and publicity of those that went before.  That's all well and good, sure.  There will always be knock-offs.  Just saying, it doesn't appear to me like BGE did anything proactively to protect their trademark. And it's cheaper to be proactive than to run around chasing variants after the fact.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Not long after I got my BGE, was telling my cousin about it.   He remarked that he had gotten a XXXXX ( black thing) from a local sporting goods store that was supposed to be the same  - but at a substantially lower price.   After about 12-14 months, cracks started in the fire box, then started at the top of the lower dome.

His thought - was a mistake to save the money - he wishes he would have just bought the BGE.   Not saying this is always the case - just his experience.

Cookin in Texas
  • Moderator Team
    Options
    Thanks to all the EGGheads for being very loyal and passionate about their EGGs. Lifetime warranty...theres a reason the others can't say that!
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    VI, "Congratulations, John Ross.  I think you are the first troll on this forum.  Hopefully, the last.", whatever do you mean?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Yeah, I would agree with you there, as I was saying, I wouldn't have bought it for $769, but for $499, couldn't pass it up, and btw, $800 for a lg KJ with stand? They are still significantly less than BGE. I thought their prices had gone about even with BGE, apparently not...
    What are you talking about? The large BGE with nest and mates with a 20 pound bag of charcoal, ash tool, and grill gripper is $869 at my local store. All these imposters costs almost as much as eggs and every time I see one at a store I check them out and they are are wobbly and not finished very well. So glad I didn't try to save a couple bucks.
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    Options
    That's a pretty good deal
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Lit, that's a pretty good price.  I think the MSRP on all that is over $1000.
    The Naked Whiz
  • John Ross
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Congratulations to you if you can get that set up at that price in your area. Everywhere I have looked in my area, I couldn't touch one for less than $11-1200. Won't beat a dead horse any longer, but I saved more than a couple bucks, try around $600.