Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No knead pizza dough.

GrannyX4
GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
edited February 2012 in Valentines Day
I have 2 grandson's coming to Granny's for valentine day dinner and I want to make pizza for them. I haven't found a wonderful crust but from what I have been reading I put this together. I think a lot of the suggestions are Tweev's.

No knead bread and pizza dough

BGE - raised direct on a pizza stone at around 550F.

Ingredientsyield: Makes 2 loaves or 4 pizza crusts

300 grams  bread flour or all-purpose flour
300 grams semolina flour
9 grams  salt 
6 grams  yeast
420 grams water

Procedure for pizza.

Combine flours, salt, and yeast in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add water and stir with a wooden spoon until no dry flour remains. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for at least 12 and up to 24 hours.

Transfer container to refrigerator and let sit for at least 3 and up to 5 days.

Remove dough from refrigerator and turn out onto well-floured surface. Turn once or twice and form into loaf shape - divide dough into fourths. Cover with a well-floured kitchen towel and allow to rise at room temperature for at least two hours, and up to four.  Form pizza on a well floured surface or parchment paper.

I think the only thing that is missing from some of the other recipes is the ommission of olive oil. Any other suggestions or helpful suggestions?
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I should probably change my tag to "LameBaker." Breadstuffs, for me are so immensely complex, that I usually goof up.

I can't offer anything other than the ingredient proportions seem fine to me. The best pizza maker I've ever met doesn't use any olive oil.

Please post on how your experiment works out from your perspective. I'll bet that if the crust has a little crunch, and the sauce is sweet, the kids will love it.
  • The only thing I can offer is be ready for a very wet, sticky dough. You're at 70% hydration in terms of bakers percentages...use plenty of bench flour to keep it workable for you.
  • I don't usually do the 5 day thing just the night before. I also add olive oil to my crust.

I'd be worried about 5 days without any sort of sponge or starter being used. Commercial yeast might start to die after that time (they literally eat themselves to death) and when you go to do your final rise before divinding and shaping you won't get any action, which will lead to a dense crust.
  • GrannyX4
    Gdenby, the boys like herb goat cheese as a base. They also like sushi, ahi tuna and escargot - now chocolate is a different thing. I'll work on that next.

Tweev, I'll take out 2T of water and add 2T of olive oil. Have you tried it without olive oil? Some how I just feel it needs the oil.

Mighty Quinn, thanks for the heads up, I'll make it the day before.

Gendby, I think that the fellow you know that makes pizza is probably using a very different flour than I am. That's why I was having a hard time leaving out the oil.

• Oil does a couple of things it Granny-

Most importantly, adding fat to a lean dough (one that is just flour, water, and yeast...think baguette) will soften the dough...this will help keep it chewy. Also, the oil will help with the browning of the crust....easier to get that nice golden bottom.

• GrannyX4
    Thanks, do you think 2 T is enough or should I use more?
  • My pizza dough recipe calls for 625 g of flour (similar to yours and 3 T of olive oil). I'll post it if you want, but I don't want to change you up at all if your're set with yours.
  • GrannyX4
    I'm not set on anything - please feel free to post away. Does yours include the semolina flour? I would like to give that flour a try this time.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    He's using a very fine flour. The semolina that I have used is rather coarse, almost gritty. The bread I make with it comes out O.K., just. I would imagine some oil would make for a smoother pizza dough.
  • GrannyX4
    It's the 00 caputo flour and Publix doesn't sell it. The semolina I have is Bob's Red Mill and it's used for making pasta. It seems rather fine.
  • 22 oz bread flour.....you can use 11 bread and 11 semolina.....I usually do
    1 1/2 T sugar
    1 t active dry yeast
    2 t salt
    14 oz cool water
    3 T olive oil

Combine yeast, sugar, water in mixing bowl. Allow yeast to dissolve and bubble. Add flour and mix completely to combine. Continue mixing and add salt and oil. Mix until dough comes together into a ball adding more water or flour as needed to make a soft, elastic dough. Knead by hand a few times and place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover and let rise until puffy. Punch down the dough and let rise again until doubled. Divide and shape into a loose round, let rest 15 min. Shape and garnish...cook and enjoy. Makes two pies.

I usually make the night before and let sit in fridge...take out a couple hours before needed...allow to come up to room temp then divide and shape.

Its not no knead, but there is really very little kneading....just enough to get the dough to be smooth.

• Use the fine semolina....the coarse stuff is like corn meal
  • GrannyX4
    edited February 2012
    Thanks, this has sugar too. I'll see if I can knead it otherwise it may turn out to be the no knead dough.

Do you do all the rising first before putting in the fridge?

It's the fine for making pasta.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Do you change up any steps for overnight. Ex. Rise, punching down, etc??
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Sorry for the delay...real world called...

I mix/knead everything and then it start to rise.....it will become puffy and if you look closely, the whole mass will be moving a little...looks like it is breathing, which essentially, it is. Then I punch it down and it goes into the fridge. A few hours before I'm ready to use, I take it out and let it come to room temp...proceed with dividing and shaping.

Do you have a Kitchenaid granny? Mixing and kneading is a piece of cake with one...

• Gato
    My dough ball its covered in plastic as we speak. Pizza for lunch tomorrow I hope
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • GrannyX4
    MQ, yes I have a kitchenaide, I guess I just make sure not to over mix? I hate to sound so dumb over this dough thing but I have had a lot of not so good pizza doughs.

Gato, what recipe did you use? Let us know how it turns out.
  • Gato
    I followed MQ's recipe this time. So many recipes and ways to cook, so little time. Seen MQ's recipe several times, and have been wanting to try it. Last time I did one from the food network (Bobby Flay). It was very good. I will let you know how it turns out.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Gato
    Hasn't really risen much. Surely not breathing yet.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Here's my recipe, which is actually just one I got online...but I've been playing with it for about a year:

2.5 cups flour (I've used all purpose, bread, white whole wheat, and mixes of those...I currently do 1.5 cups all purpose, 1 cup white whole wheat (both King Arthur brand))
    1ts salt
    1 envelope regular yeast
    1 cup water (warm)
    1 ts sugar
    2 Tbsp olive oil

Combine warm water, sugar, and yeast.  While the yeast gets going, measure out the flour and salt into a separate bowl.  Add oil to the liquid and mix in.  Then add the flour/salt mix and mix until you have a nice dough.  I do this by hand with a dinner fork.  Depending on the exact ratio of flour/water I measured out, I usually end up adding flour until the dough ball isn't too sticky to work with.

Once this is mixed, let it sit 10 minutes, and you're ready to stretch/press it out into a pizza.  I make one big one.  This recipe was touted as being a no kneed / no rise crust.  I've found that it is marginally better if you make it the night before and store it loosely covered in the fridge overnight.  In the morning, punch it down.  I make it for dinner, so in the evening, remove from fridge, punch it down again, and let it sit out 15-30 minutes before using.

I pre-bake the crust 4-5 minutes, top, and bake for 12 minutes, all at 425F.  I haven't tried doing this in the egg yet.
  • Gato
    Had to leave, left it out on counter. Will this be a problem?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Nope....just punch it down when you get back and throw it in the fridge. I still not much action when you get back, stick it in the fridge anyway.
  • Gato
    Sweet, thanks
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • GrannyX4
    I wouldn't think so because the other recipe said you could leave it out 12 to 24 hours.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    edited February 2012
    Yep...that would be fine too Granny....the point of the fridge is to slow down the yeast action and to encourage some fermentation. This will improve flavor, texture, etc....totally not a necessary step, but I think you'll find it to be worth it.
  • Gato
    Definitely gained some size while I was gone. Punched it down and in the fridge.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Gato
    Pizza cook had to be moved until tonight.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Gato
    Well just finished eating a couple of really good pizzas. Thanks Mighty Quinn for the dough recipe and guidance. Built the first one on parchment so I would at least have one pizza to eat. Built the other on the peel dusted with a little flour. Tried to stick on one corner but was able to shake it loose and onto the stone. Just wanted to say I could do it, but the parchment is just so darn easy.

@ GrannyX4 I thought the dough was very good. I tried to keep the dome temp in between 550 and 600. Nice crust. Closer to 600 is what I'm guessing might be the number on this crust. I'm sure Mighty Q could add some temp guides for sure. Best of luck with your upcoming cook!

Geaux Tigers!!!
  • GrannyX4
    Those are pretty good looking pizzas. Did you use the semolina flour? Was it easy to roll out?
  • Nice Gato! it looks like you did everything right. As far as temps, I usually go 600-650 depending on how thick the crust is, so you were good there. Well done....glad I could help. You're next Granny!