Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking a Boston Butt

rclark1187
rclark1187 Posts: 7
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hello, I am new to the BGE. After doing a whole chicken and a pork tenderloin (they were great) I am going to do a 7 lb butt. After reading much of the material on the forum I'm down to a couple of questions. I would appreciate any help.

I am confused on how much charcoal to put in the egg (large size). I have read about separating the sizes but do you use the whole bag (22 lbs)? The next thing is I've read that some folks stack the charcoal up to the top of the fire ring. Also, has anyone tried mesquite?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    ease of mesquite for now, at least for PP.  hickory is probably most traditional for butt.  cherry is good, apple.  i like oak for beef. 

fill the egg up to the underside of the fire ring, or a little higher.  you want plenty of lump, but no need to go to the top of the fire ring, that would be the underside of the grid.

it won't burn it all. and you can reuse the leftover.

don't obsess about stacking and size.  but yeah, bigger chunks at the fire garte can help prevent ash from clogging it later on in the cook.  ...but i bet 90% of us dump and run.  i know of one guy who maybe has OCD or something and vacuums the thing out each time.  not for me. 

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Thanks Stike. Apprciate the response. What do you use mesquite on. For years I have used mesquite when grilling steaks.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    yeah.  i think beef is the go-to for mesquite.  i don't mind it.  some think it is too strong, but it's only as string as however much you use, right?

it's great for brisket, tri-tip, steaks, etc.

we don't get much mesquite up where i am
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mesquite can be very pungent on a long cook. I think stike was letting you know that it can be overpowering. Just to add my 2 cents, go a little light on whatever wood you use the first couple of times til you get used to it. The egg retains a lot of smoke flavour without a lot of wood.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• And I guess I should learn to type faster (do they still call it typing?)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• What I've read is 3 fist sized chunks.
  • I usually use one but not a big fan of smoke flavour. I think PP can take the smoke but it's still very good without much. Depends on your personal taste in the end. I wouldn't go more than three. I've pitched a couple of cooks cause of too much.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    You would never see me vacumn ... though prior to a long cook, I do have a little whish brush that I clean out every bit of ash....
    Cookin in Texas