Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MANGALITSA PORK

Options
rickp13
rickp13 Posts: 4
edited February 2012 in Root
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I just purchased an XL egg and will be slow cooking a Mangalitsa pork picnic this weekend.
I was wondering if anyone in this forum has worked with this breed of pork. It is supposedly according the research I've done "the kobe beef"(almost paid as for it as such) of pork used in such restaurants like French Laundry etc. It is known as a lard type breed and has a very high degree of marbling.
My picnic has the skin on half of it. Im thinking of leaving the skin on scored.

Few queations I had:
If anyone has worked w/ this breed of pork and if so does it change the cooking method duration time/ cooking temp etc?
I should cook skin side up or down?
Was thinking of slow cooking at 250F dome temp or shld at cook at different temp?

Thanks. I have never used a green egg so any other tips/comments appreciated!

Comments

• stevesails
    Options
    Load it up with lump and play with the egg to learn how to cxintrol the temps. As it is getting. G hot start closing your vents down before it gets too hot.

I would practice on a small butt before attempting something new with something expensive
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• smokesniffer
    Options
    Jumping In with both feet. Good Luck. Do you have some kind of thermometer to measure the temperature of the meat?
    Large, small, and a mini
  • rickp13
    Options
    Yes i have a digital probe thermometer.

I've seen alot of didferent reccomendations on when to pull the pork out of smoker ranging from 180-205 degrees F.

Any suggestions?
  • BGE Convert
    Options
    Rick, I wish you luck on the cook (don't overcook your first time).  Please report back on how it tastes.  I have had the chance to eat some Kurobata/Berkshire chops.  Absolutely amazing and it is certainly not your Daddy's pork chop.  Very Rich in flavor.  However, the butt/shoulder in a normal pig already has heavy marblng.  How much more fat will make it better is the question I have.  I hope that the lard and pork has a different flavor and is worth the price.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

If you want to impart any smoke flavor, IMHO, you should remove the skin and most of the external fat. At the very least, score the skin.

Looking forward to the results ....

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • rickp13
    Options

Well my first experience w/ egg and mangalitsa pork was phenomenal. 

I decided to cook w/ skin on scored and skin side down.

I cooked at a dome temp of 230-240 degrees until an internal temp of 190 which took 16.5 hours for a 6 lb picnic. 

It literally was falling apart on me as I was trying taking it off the grill.  I double wrapped in foil and rested for 2 hours. 

This pork was by far the  most amazing piece of pork I have ever tasted.  The meat was incredibly tender, sweet and smoky and the fat on this pork tasted even better! The fat would literally melt in your mouth.

Attached is a photo of the finished product before I pulled off grill.

Only bad thing is I allready have requests for my egg smoked cooking services from the ppl who ate it last night lol!