Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time I used my BGE, I melted the felt! Help me.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally bought a large BGE, and in my excitement, I failed to consider that extremely hot temps could potentially melt the felt. Well, as the temp climbed past 6 o'clock on my thermometer, I smelled something strange and so I shut down the air to bring the temp down. I opened the grill and realiezed that the smell that I noticed was melting felt. What should I do? Thanks guys.[p]

Comments

• 1shot1kill
    1shot1kill Posts: 136
    Options
    David Jeffery,
    not too sure what to do either brother, but dont feel bad I had the same thing happen to me on my first cook. Look down at a previous post by Lawnranger called New Egg I think. Some of the guys chimed in. Hope that helps you out alittle, and if you find out something else let me know.[p]thanks,
    Ryan

• haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    Options
    1shot1kill,
    Its a 1st timer event. You are now a grown egger ;) You would think they would send an extra gasket in the packageing from the kit you get with the egg :) Call the mother ship and they should hook you up with a gasket. If RRP is around I think he still has some Rutland Gaskets layting around. They would be my choice. I am just to lazy to order them :) especially after the Texas Egg-Fest. BTW 1shot1kill :)

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    David Jeffery,
    ...don't sweat it, whjile you are waiting for a replacement.
    if you can get the sucker apart, you can still use the egg.[p]you'll just probably not have the best control over low temps (250)[p]so that just means until you replace the gasket you are stuck eating steaks seared at thermo-nuke temps.
    poor guy!
    there are worse punishments in life, eh?[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • 1shot1kill
    Options
    haywyre,
    Thanks partner I will get a hold of them as soon as I can. Know what you mean about being to lazy after the fest, me too!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    haywyre, LOL - like a marble, I'm always "around"

[ul][li]Rutland gasket - a lasting alternative[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    David Jeffery, I fried my gasket 12 months after I replace the first on I fried, that was 6 months ago and I havent replaced it yet. I have all the stuff but I'm lazy and it's working fine on low and slow's. It will help if you saved the plastic hinge holders that keep the springe hinge together.

• 1shot1kill
    Options
    tach18k,
    I saw those plastic things, but didn't know what they were. How and where do they go??
    Thanks,
    Ryan

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    1shot1kill, Thay held the spring hinge together during shipping. When removing the hinge from the egg it helps to have these around so the hinge dowsnt become a flying band of metal and makes the reassembly easier.

• 1shot1kill
    Options
    tach18k,
    thanks man, mine was already together when I brought it home so I wasn't sure what they were. I did watch the video that came with it last night and I showed them on there too. Thanks for the comeback.
    Ryan

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    tach18k,[p]Yeah. I wasn't paying attention with one set of my bands, and the top band jumped up entirely on its own and thwacked me in the noggin. If it'd hit me in the nose, I'm pretty sure it'd have drawn blood...[p]Not blaming anyone but myself here. Just warning others of my own past mistakes....