Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza success! (praise be to bob. pics included too)

Options
travisstrick
travisstrick Posts: 5,002
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well boys, it finally turned out right. 

I had the temp maxed out, used Central Market Lump, only about 8 min. Papa Murphys crust with my own toppings. 
imageimage
Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Looks tasty.  How did the bottom turn out?  I suck at making pizza.  Used papa murphys crusts many times and they always get too brown/black for my liking before the rest gets nice and done like yours in the picture.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• travisstrick
    Options
    Bottom was slightly less done than I would have preferred. The Wife Lady thought it was perfect. I pre heated the platesetter  but put the pizza stone in with the pizza.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Travis. Please per-heat all before pizza.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    Options
    Mickey, I tried it out with the pizza starting out on the peel so I could pre-heat but, it didnt feel like it would transfer to the hot stone. How do you guys get the raw pizza to the hot stone?
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    A dusting of semolina flour or cornmeal on the peel or build pizza on parchment, slide peel under parchment, slide pizza and parchment onto hot stone, after the dough sets after a few minutes pull out parchment leaving pizza to finish cooking.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Like Mighty Quinn said Parchment is the trick. Make them on it and pull out from under 45 to 60 seconds on the cook. I could never get the flour or cornmeal to work as well as the parchment.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

nice, well done

Cookin in Texas
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Yea Mickey, I use parchment every time too...cornmeal works just as well for me, but I don't like the crunchy texture it adds to the crust once it basically burns.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Well ladies, I may have to make some pizza at the Salado Eggfest. If they keep turning out better and better every time I definitely will.
  • bghiii
    bghiii Posts: 25
    Options
    Check this out www.superpeel.com.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited January 2012
    Options

Was the dough you got from papa murphys already on a tray? When I've done their pizza on the egg, I slide the tray in and after a few minutes, you can slide the tray out from underneath it without deforming the pie. If the dough was in a ball, I suggest building your pie on parchment paper and then sliding it out after a few minutes. You want to pre-heat your pizza stone to get the bottom of the crust done. Here's a link to where I did some pizzas, one was a Papa Murphys and one was using store bought dough. I really thought I had put more pizza on my blog, I've done tons, but I guess I only wrote up 2. Hope this helps.

http://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/category/pizza/

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings