Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

drip pan with brisket

captbunch18
captbunch18 Posts: 23
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok...rookie egg user here.  What liquid do you put in the drip pan when doing a brisket?  Also, do you ever add any liquid during the smoke?  I have used beef broth, beer, and water and when i was done smoking, all the liquid was gone.  Does this matter?  Should there be liquid or not when you are done.  Thanks.

Comments

• Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    I am not an expert but I put my feet from the egg under the drip pan to keep it of the plate setter.
    Ok...rookie egg user here.  What liquid do you put in the drip pan when doing a brisket?  Also, do you ever add any liquid during the smoke?  I have used beef broth, beer, and water and when i was done smoking, all the liquid was gone.  Does this matter?  Should there be liquid or not when you are done.  Thanks.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    imageI I use these. One bottle of Allegro and as much beer as needed. I have had one can of beer and one bottle of Allegro last 12 hours. It makes a great drizzle sauce for serving.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I am not an expert but I put my feet from the egg under the drip pan to keep it of the plate setter.
    that sounds like a good idea.  so the goal is to not evaporate the liquid before the smoke is over....correct?

• Bakeman
    Pretty much, so far it has worked for me.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    I use a can of cheap beer (seems to be the most fragrant, honestly!), a few dashes of the dry rub, two liberal scoops of the pre-chopped garlic from Costco, a scoop of cheap pre-ground black pepper, and top off to 3/4 level with tap water.  Don't put the pan directly on the platesetter and it'll make it through the entire cook fine without drying out.

The whole neighborhood will smell super dank.  Neighbors will drop by with misdelivered mail. 

Never used the pan for a sauce afterward...  Seems like a lot of fat in there.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Bakeman
    Be brave, a little pork fat is good for you.
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Did a brisket last Wednesday for my 40th B-Day......Drip pan on the platesetter with 3 Guiness + H2O to fill.  Smoked 15.5 hrs for a 7lb brisket.  Wrapped in foil, then a towel for 1 additional hour.  Perfection.......
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    I put a foil pan to catch the fat that rendered off. Focus more on proper liquid disbursement to the grilling crew.
    Cookin in Texas
  • thanks.  I think my problem was i was leaving the drip pan on the platesetter.  I used the feet from my egg to lift it.  Brisket should come off around 3 and i will see what i have left (if any)
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

I did a brisket yesterday and my drip pan was empty and charred when I finished. I had it filled with apple juice, apple cider vinegar and water. it was all gone after 12 hours. My pan was in platesetter feet up. How do you guys typically set up drip pan? My brisket was in V rack.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • ok...did something wrong again.  cooked brisket last night and again the drip pan was bone dry and charred.  ugh!
  • travisstrick
    I do 300 dome temp with one bottle of allegro and one or two beer. There is ALWAYS lots of liquid in the drip pan even after 12+ hours of cooking at that temp. The drip pan rests on the plate setter. 
  • I do 300 dome temp with one bottle of allegro and one or two beer. There is ALWAYS lots of liquid in the drip pan even after 12+ hours of cooking at that temp. The drip pan rests on the plate setter. 
    what type of pan are you using.  I cooked my brisket for 16 hours at grate temp of 220---using a digi q to keep temp constant. 

I am using one of those disposable metal roasting pans.
  • travisstrick
    Same here. I use a cheap disposable one. I think the trick is using the Allegro. Just a guess but I think the oil helps hold the liquid in. 
  • Same here. I use a cheap disposable one. I think the trick is using the Allegro. Just a guess but I think the oil helps hold the liquid in. 
    thanks.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491

I put no liquid in the pan.  I think it just wastes heat (charcoal) and does not impart any meaningful flavor.  This thread is making me feel like I am the only one.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2012

This thread is making me feel like I am the only one.

I don't think the liquid imparts any flavor either.  I only use a pan with water so
    when the meat drips, it doesn't burn and give off that nasty smell/smoke
    that's going to end up back on the meat.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

I put no liquid in the pan.  I think it just wastes heat (charcoal) and does not impart any meaningful flavor.  This thread is making me feel like I am the only one.

Does seem change the relationship between grill and dome temps whether or not liquid is present in the pan.  I really noticed after I started using the Maverick to monitor grill temp.   As you move in closer to the meat - which puts you over the drip pan containing liquid - temp dropped.

Started with a dry foil pan this weekend, almost all of the external fat cap rendered, so I had a foil pan with an inch or two of rendered fat.   As the pan filled, there was a point it took more dome heat to maintain the same grill heat.  

Cookin in Texas
  • I do 300 dome temp with one bottle of allegro and one or two beer. There is ALWAYS lots of liquid in the drip pan even after 12+ hours of cooking at that temp. The drip pan rests on the plate setter. 
    ok...i am still doing something wrong.  i am just messing around now, trying to get the thing right.  No meet last night.  Just got a fire going, set it at 225 grate temp.  Put 4 pieces of hickory chunk.  Plate setter, feet up.  Set my drip pan with a bottle of Allegro and a can of miller light.  Put that on a 9pm and at 6 am, it was completely dried up.

Should i care?
  • Bakeman
    Did you have spacers between the pan and the plate setter
  • Did you have spacers between the pan and the plate setter
    yes, i am using the egg for my feet and setting the drip pan on the feet.
  • Bakeman
    That's what I do and I have pretty good Success doing that. Wish I could tell you more.
  • was thinking....if my grate temp is 225, wont that cause the liquid to boil off...since water boils at 212?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

No you are not.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• was thinking....if my grate temp is 225, wont that cause the liquid to boil off...since water boils at 212?

Depends if it's water you put in drip pan. Alcohol and allegro would have a different boiling point.

Depends if it's water you put in drip pan. Alcohol and allegro would have a different boiling point.
    ok
  • I see the use of a drip pan for catching drippings so they don't burn in the coals, but why would you want to steam your meat when the liquid you add boils off? The Egg is enough to keep meat moist.
  • I see the use of a drip pan for catching drippings so they don't burn in the coals, but why would you want to steam your meat when the liquid you add boils off? The Egg is enough to keep meat moist.
    you just just put an empty pan on the plate setter?
  • I use the adjustable rig from CGS so no plate setter....I put a drip pan on one of the lower levels of the rig, just sitting on a grate. Air flow all around...I would not put it directly on the stone I use dropped in the spider for indirect.
  • In your case above, you set the grate temp for 225 and set the drip pan on the feet on the plate setter. That plate setter is down on the coals basically so I'm sure the heat it is conducting is more indicative of the coal temps....much higher than 225.