Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good CI grate?

Options
MaskedMarvel
MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/kitchen-and-food/grills-and-grill-tools/weber-cast-iron-sear-grate/s184716

Going to be looking for a LBGE searing grate, and was wondering if this might be good to drop directly on the coals?

Thanks for any input
8-Damien

Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I'm sure it would work, but the "Made in China" tag would steer me away from buying one.  God only knows what they have in their cast iron.  Why not not a 13" from BGE and a spider from the Ceramic Grill Store?  Might be a little more money, but you'll never have to replace it.  Besides that the spider has several uses such as a wok base and stone holder for indirect cooks.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • GatoGordo
    Options
    I have the Music City Metals grate and I really like it. It is 18" in diameter, just like the standard wire grate. No problem searing or getting grill marks.

You can get it on Amazon. It fluctuates in price, but I got it for $40.

LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • genwmull
    Options
    I'm with BOWHNR.  Buy the spider and 13" BGE CI grate.  Mine came in Friday and I seared a couple fillets last night and my wife compared it to a high end steak house.  I thought it was pretty good myself!  FWIW
    Large BGE Dyersburg TN
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    Options
    Thanks for the advice - I am eventually going to be looking at the spider, but for now am thinking about just dropping the grill right on the coals.  

Of course, my budget might make more sense to go ahead for the BGE 13" CI and use it until I can add the spider...

Thanks again
    8-Damien

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• erickpanger
    Options
    I have looked at the BGE web site and although I see this link http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggcessories/tools-thermometers-and-cleaners/cast-iron-cooking-grids/. Is there away to purchase from that site. What am I missing. Or do I need to order form a local dealer?

I have the spider but don't have the new grate yet
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I have the Music City Metals grate and I really like it. It is 18" in diameter, just like the standard wire grate. No problem searing or getting grill marks.

You can get it on Amazon. It fluctuates in price, but I got it for $40.

I have that for my spider on my XL.  For a large, they probably need the 15" to use with a spider.  I'd measure before ordering.

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/CAST_IRON_GRILL_15_FITS_MEDIUM_BIG_GREEN_EGG_AN_p/bge15ci.htm

They also have the 13"
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • genwmull
    Options
    @erickpanger I ordered my grate off of ebay.  It was a little cheaper than buying from fredsmusicandbbq.com.  Ordered from id: webercloseouts.  You can use the 13" CI grate on the large with spider.
    Large BGE Dyersburg TN
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
     You can use the 13" CI grate on the large with spider.
    Do you know if the 15" fits?  Having the extra surface area may be helpful if it fits.  T-Bone steaks for 6 people can eat up some space.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Options
    What do i do for a medium? I'm looking a cast iron grate. so wish they had a tiered ci grate like the one for the large bge.
  • genwmull
    Options
    @Ragtop99 Look at the spider information on ceramicgrillstore.com under the Q&A section on the Large Spider.  The recommendation from them is to use a 13" CI grate and not to use a 14" pizza stone on the spider since it will limit air flow around the stone for indirect cooking.  I haven't measured the inside of the spider to see what size grate could fit, but the lower you get into the fire ring the narrower the width is and it is ultimately fixed by the dimensions of the spider.  I am sure you could e-mail them and they would be glad to answer your questions.  I got the adjustable ring and like it so far.  It elevates the grid above the felt line and works good on spatchocked chicken.

@mwraulst Direct you to ceramicgrillstore.com for some of your options available from them like the Woo2.
    Large BGE Dyersburg TN
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Options
    i see the woo2 but i have a plate setter and can't quite figure out why i need the woo2? I was hoping for a cast iron grate for the medium that i can take the ring out and put directly on top of the firebox? anyone know anything?
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Hmm....maybe try measuring the diameter of the firebox and then take that measurement and buy a cast iron grate that size. It can be from anywhere really....nothing says you have to buy the BGE grate from a dealer or something from CGS.
  • bamafan62
    Options
    Mike,Genwmull,

Looked at the picture of the steak on the spider and 13' grate.  It looked like lava temp.  Did you keep the steak at that level for the entire cook, lid up,vent open?  Will this set-up work on a large BGE?

Thanks for your time.

Phil
  • genwmull
    Options
    @bamafan62 I used the spider and CI grate initially for the sear of the steak.  I also have the adjustable rig and use the grate that come with the egg on top of it to finish cooking the steaks to the right internal temp.  I cooked mine around 600 dome with lid closed.  I have the large bge and works great.  Check out the Large Adjustable Rig Customer Combo on the CGS website.
    Large BGE Dyersburg TN