Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egghead and want to introduce myself

Options
mizeatl
mizeatl Posts: 13
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
My name is Mike, I'm from Atlanta, and I have a Big Green Egg addiction.

It started about five years ago on vacation in Seagrove Beach, FL. The person who lived next door to my rental house had his Egg going and said, "C'mere and try this. He handed me a bite of fresh grouper off his spatula and it was the best piece of fish I ever tasted. I wanted an Egg. Then I went home and researched them and decided I didn't want to spend that much money.

Fast forward to Christmas 2011. My wife managed to surprise me with a large and I love it. First attempt - ribs done direct @ 250 degrees for about 4 hours or so with a Tennessee dry rub mixture that my father gave to me. Awesome! And the best, most moist, fall off the bone ribs I ever made. Second attempt - bought a plate setter and did 2, 7lb pork butts, same dry rub, injected with apple juice and rub, done at 250 degrees overnight for about 16 hours I think. Wrapped in foil, towel and into a cooler for a couple hours before pulling. Also awesome along with another slab of baby backs that I did the day before.

I bought a placesetter, and the fire grate that looks like a grill so the holes don't get plugged with ash. Like the new fire grate so far-forget the brand name but read about it hear.

Since then,I have done fish(direct), steaks(650 degrees sear on both sides, shut the vents) medium rare, bone in chicken breasts(indirect), and tonight I did a spatchcocked chicken(350 degrees indirect). I seem to be the rare indirect spatchcocked chicken cooker but it was incredible(injected with lemon pepper marinade, lemon pepper and seasoned salt).

Anyway, I will post a few photos of my creations soon and am happy to join the forum. I just wanted to introduce myself.

Finally, 2 questions:

1. What is the green ceramic top for? I always use the daisy wheel.
2. I have looked at all the obvious sites but would love more details on cooking temp and direct vs indirect for various meats.

Ps - Can' t wait until Super Bowl Sunday. It's looking like that will be pizza on the Egg day for the first time.

Mike - aka- Mize

Comments