Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Egg User - Need Advise on First Meal

Options
06TechGrad
06TechGrad Posts: 5
edited January 2012 in Root

First off, I am happy to join the BGE community! I just bought a large BGE this week and will be using it for the first time tomorrow night.

I would like to cook a whole chicken and was hoping y'all could help me out with a good recipe. I found one on the BGE website, but was hoping that y'all could also provide a recipe(s).

Also, any other advise for my first use.

Thanks!

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Spatchcock chicken...it is a right of passage for a first cook!

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options

+1 on the spatchcock chix.  In a prior life (BBGE- before Big Green Egg), I used to cook beer can chix all the time-one time with a spatchcock chix and have never looked back.  Easier, less mess, more flavor...

On a related note-I recall seeing where it is suggested that you keep your first couple of cooks at less than nuclear temps-nothing more than 350-400*F on the dome but don't have a reference.  Welcome and enjoy the journey-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nineee
    nineee Posts: 41
    Options
    I did my first cook on the BGE Thursday.  Easy as pie.  And lousubcap is right.  First 3 cookings or so you should keep at lower temps for the gasket to seal.  I smoked a pbork butt and it was perfect.  Going to do the chicken next and based on above advice, I'll do spatchcock.  nineee
  • burr_baby33
    Options
    Definitely spatchcock! Easy and delicious.
  • Fiin
    Fiin Posts: 1
    Options
    I did a pizza on mine for first use :P
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    Options
    +1 for spatchcock
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • btrouge
    Options
    I cooked the Simon and Garfunkel chicken for my 1st cook and it was awesome. The recipe was in the manual that can with the BGE.
  • dunnharr
    Options
    I use the vertical rack and set it in a drip pan with chicken stock in it.  The Fresh Market has a really nice poultry rub that I like to use.  350 for about 15 minutes a pound.  Buy a Thermapen and you can pull it when thigh meat is 180 and breast is 160.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

On a related note-I recall seeing where it is suggested that you keep your first couple of cooks at less than nuclear temps-nothing more than 350-400*F on the dome but don't have a reference.  Welcome and enjoy the journey

Do not worry ove the gasket. Just go cook. It IS GOING TO COME OFF no matter how or what you  do. I have 3 eggs and zero gaskets (you don't have to have them). 50 to 60% of the people have gaskets (have put them back on) and the rest are like me: gasketless.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.