Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Temp Gloves

Options
philipi
philipi Posts: 2
edited January 2012 in Holiday Recipes
Hi,

Found these gloves and have ordered a pair, I will report back when they arrive.

-Philip

Comments

• El Kabong
    Options
    Seems silly to spend alot on a pair gloves you know are gonna get trashed. I bought a pair of leather welding gloves for 10 dollars a few yrs ago at Acehardware.  
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    I like my Lincoln electric welding gloves, available most places that sell welding supplies. I think I picked my last set up a Home Depot.
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • horseflesh
    Options
    I have leather welding gloves and there is no way I could use them to handle an item at 1000F. However, they are good up to 600-700F, which covers most situations. Still, I am looking forward to the OP's report. 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I have one of these Orka gloves to handle the hot plate setter if I need to.  They are $20 a piece.  They handle up to 480 degrees.

The gloves the original poster found look like a decent buy to me at $33 bucks a pair for up to 1000 degrees.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    There are some folks who have these:

http://www.allsafetysupplies.com/Chicago-Z14P2W-Zetex-Plus-Glove-14-Dbl-Palm-and-Thumb-Pair_p_237.html

I believe they might be foundry gloves - even if they are not, it says they can withstand temps up to 2000 degrees - so methinks they'll work for those Trex steak cooks ;)
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    I have BEST rubber welders gloves that I got a Grainger.  They are perfect.  I also have a long cuff pair for using in the big pit too.  I don't know how much heat they can handle, but I can pick up burning logs and hot plate setter, and pull meat with no problems.  They also go well in the dishwasher.

Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Options
    I just use plain old $6 insulated leather work gloves that last a couple of years before they get too black with grease and char and stiffen up too much. They're good enough to pick up a plate setter after a pizza cook.

Question about the rubber welders gloves...are they actual gloves (fingered) or "mitten" style like the glove pic above?
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    They are fingered. I don't think I could live with a mitten type.  I also have a pair that go above the elbow.  These are 5 years old, and they don't have any wear to them.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Mom sent me a pair of gloves called Pit Mitts.  So far, they seem to work quite well...and they don't totally give up dexterity or grip.
  • mjontrack
    mjontrack Posts: 18
    Options
    I have leather elbow length gloves I bought at Lowes in the Outdoor Cooking section.  They are great to use when burping the egg for a high cook, but aren't able to withstand higher temps when removing a grill grate.  So far my motto has been "let it cool down".
  • Robert15t
    Robert15t Posts: 9
    Options
    My wife got me a pair of gloves called the "ove glove" great dexirety and grip no problems handling a hot plate setter.
  • Stargaze
    Options
    Cripes, I'd buy these gloves if I were putting my hands into the fire ;)
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I bought the leather gloves Tom sells at Ceramic Grill Store and they have worked out perfect thus far. The only item that has been too hot for them is the cast iron grid after I sear....but that was expected.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options

I posted before on hi-temp gloves.

What I found was that basic welder gloves or silicone (gauntlet style) work well for basic grilling.

I was looking for and found the slip on mitts that go over the welders. The purpose was to be able to remove the hot plate setter and pizza plate when they are 600* +. Although the mitts are rated to 2000* ,I use them in combo. The mitts alone will still burn your fingers.The mitts have no type of insulation which is what one needs.They just don't burn or melt. Together I can move PS 10-15'. Beyond that you'll feel the heat.

Have a great Day. Bill

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI