Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wood chunks vs chips

Options
nineee
nineee Posts: 41
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum

I usually used chuncks in water smoker.  Firing up BGE for the first time for a slow cook.  Can I use chunks instead?  Wish me luck.  I'm a little nervous.  Oh, doing a pork butt.  Nineee

Comments

• bluegrasstiger
    Options
    I use a couple of chunks for long and slow butts, say 10-12 hours and they give smoke a long time.

Others use chips mixed in with the lump in various methods, and that has worked for me as well, although I mostly use chips for shorter cooks.

Either will work.
  • tfoutch
    tfoutch Posts: 76
    Options
    Either is fine.  Using chuncks now since that's what I have.  You will love this thing low and slow, and be amazed at how little lump you use.  You'll do fine, but "Good Luck" andway.
    TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited January 2012
    Options
    often you hear "chunks are better" because they last longer.  well, it's true.  a chunk is bigger than a chip, and will last longer.

but i look at it this way.  give me a single half pound chunk, or a half pound of chips.  which can i get more smoke from, and for longer. 

for me, it's chips.  actually, it's small bits of wood, chips, twigs, whatever.  i do have chunks, and use them, but i just use them differently.  i mix a lot of small bits of wood into he lump where the fire is going to be.  and that's it.

a single chip might be gone sooner, but there's another chip near it and more mixed in and around it. 

they don't ignite and burn any faster than chunks, because the BGE restricts the fire.  you don't get open burning flames. a chip smolders just like a chunk.  in a gasser, the chip would burst into flame and be spent inside three minutes.  like littlesteven

use whatever you have.  the wood doesn't care what shape it is in, and the fire neither
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I like a really smoky taste, I use both.  

So far -- big caveat still learning - I start the egg, let it stabilize for 30-45 minutes, then put my smoking wood in, plate setter, etc - load the meat.

In my mind ( and I may be wrong ) the chips give me immediate smoke, the chunks give me long lasting smoke.

Open to ideas about what I am missing.

Cookin in Texas