Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I left my smoking wood out in the rain! Any problems? LOL

tfoutch
tfoutch Posts: 76
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum

I was reading another post where there was a question about using smoking wood after it had been left out in the rain.  Mine's in the rain, and probably will be for a while. 

Funny story.  I have a friend who cuts trees.  Called him and asked if he cut a cherry tree or an apple tree, if he would save me some and I would come and get it.  Two days later, he called.  Wanted to know where I wanted him to dump my wood.  Said he had some cherry, a little maple, and that he got me a couple of sticks of hickory too. 

I thought it strange he used the word "Dump", but was greatful he brought it to me so I didn't have to load it.  Here's the pic!

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n523/tfoutch/2012-01-07_09-51-02_932.jpg

TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited January 2012
    There's no issue with it being in the rain

Some folks keep a bowl full of water with chips in it, soaking, so they can use them whenever they want. Aside from the reality that you don't need to soak chips for use in the BGE, the problem with long term soaking would be leaching out all the good stuff. Their bowl water turns color with all the flavor leached from the wood

But that wont happen if your wood just gets wet

Your pile is a lot like mine. Some guys took a tree down for me and left me with 4-foot diameter chunks. Got a little work to do
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tfoutch
    edited January 2012

I just thought it was funny worrying about leaving a few chips in a bag in the rain. LOL  Worked most of the day last weekend.  Pile doesn't look a lot different.  So much better than paying 10 dollars a bag. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I 'spose you are referring to me? I wasn't worried about it. I've used soaked chips before, I just don't bother doing it anymore. Really, I just wanted to try out the new apple chips I had found. Never tried them before, so I was using that as excuse for not using the open bag of soaked cherry. :D

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tfoutch
    I do that too.  Use things as an excuse to justify doing what I wanted to do in the first place.  Not busting anyone, just a quick funny thought that poped into my head, then I started typing.  No offense intended. 
  • tfoutch

I think if we could see the smiles some of us have as we type these threads, they might come across differently!

• stike
    apparently i missed something....
  • tfoutch
    edited January 2012

I guess I read too much into the language in the threads.  Was worried that I was close to offending Griffin by my reference to "worrying about leaving a few chips in a bag in  the rain".  He responded that he wasn't worried, just chose to do otherwise.

I'm pretty new here, so don't want to offend too early.  I seldom if ever mean my comments to be offensive or abrasive.  Just clearing that up. 

I guess I just want to err on the side of apoligizing early, even if it's not needed.  I like it here.  

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Griffin
    I do that too.  Use things as an excuse to justify doing what I wanted to do in the first place.  Not busting anyone, just a quick funny thought that poped into my head, then I started typing.  No offense intended. 
    Eggsactly! And none taken, BTW.

Rowlett, Texas

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    I have acquired some apple wood as well, with opportunity to get my hands on some cherry. I think I read or heard somewhere to take the bark off, and just smoke with the wood. What are your thoughts. I am thinking just put the piece bark and all on the fire.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • tfoutch

I'm slicing this in 2 inch sliced, lying the slice on a hickory stump, hitting it with a hatchet to make chunks.  Gonna burn it all!  I figure wood is wood!  Maybe because I just don't know any better, maybe cause I'm too lazy to take it off.  Either way, it's getting burned!

• stike
    bark is fine. 
    sometimes i use nothing BUT bark.

• Griffin
    Nothing wrong with bark.

Rowlett, Texas

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Fortunately, I have 4 apple trees and 3 cherry trees on my property, so I'll be in wood for the year. I also have peach, nectarine and persimmon, has anyone used these? What are your results.

Thanks, Bill

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.