Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What makes a Brat a Brat???

db
db Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had brats from the store and didn't like them. But I was always reading how people loved 'em so I thought that if I could make some real brats, I might see what all the fuss is about. I've got about 400 sausage recipies and I found a few for brats. Some had lamb, some
did not. Two had totally different spices in them. There was very little in common between the recipies. I searched the internet looking for the answer. I found a sausage maker in Chicago who would answer questions about sausage making. He didn't know.
A guy I work with married a girl when he was in the army in Berlin.
I called her and asked her what Bratwurst meant in German. She said
Brat means fried and wurst means sausage. They would boil the sausages to cook the inside, then fry them to brown the outside.
So, what is a brat? Any fried sausage?
Still looking for the answer.
db
BTW, I made up two different recipies, one with lamb and one with pork. I didn't like either. I'm a little suspicious of a sausage that you have to simmer in beer to make taste good.

Comments