Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raising Prices Again

Options
herbby
herbby Posts: 3
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
My local dealer told me that BGE prices are going up by about $50 in February.  Has any one else heard this?  How often have there been price increases?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    Don't know much history but do know prices went up about the same amount last year, Feb 1, 2011-sounds like a yearly deal...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stevesails
    Options

figures, everything goes up except my wages. 

and yes the egg is expensive, but if you buy it now it will be cheaper than if you wait 3 or 4 years and you would have thrown away another gasser.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Gravytrain84
    Options
    Regardless of price, if my BGE shattered right now, I'd be at my local dealer 20 mins later buying a new one.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    There's not a huge markup on the egg itself. When I was home for thanksgiving my parents wanted me to go with them to look at a large since the medium I got them for retirement they left at their place in Arkansa. It turned out when we were looking at one a kid I grew up with came over and he turned out to own the place so he gave my parents a large at cost. He charged them $669 for a large with nest and mates. I am guessing a good deal of the cost is associated with the amazing warranty and how great BGE stands behind their product if you ever have an issue.
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Options
    I wonder if the Mexicans get part of the 50% markup of the price of Eggs in Canada...
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Options
    I'm very happy with my Egg but if they continue to increase their price by $50 a year I can see myself going Primo if something happened to mine.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Well. Eggs are competitively priced vs. stainless steel gas grills. Outside Ho De the other day the range was $299 - $1499. My large on wheels nests right in the middle of that range.
  • Salty Hogs BBQ
    Options
    I'm very happy with my Egg but if they continue to increase their price by $50 a year I can see myself going Primo if something happened to mine.
    You do realize Primo has raised their prices a lot more in the last 3 years compared to BGE, right? Good to get educated before opening our mouths and showing how ignorant we are on a subject. It is best to know the facts before voicing our opinions.
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Options
    I guess they are trying to make it more expensive so people go and buy the competition's grills which are much cheaper! But where in recession and they got to keep robbbing us blind which ever way they can so they can stay afloat or it can be because Kamado Joe is stealing all of there customers and haver to make up for the loss! I have lots of friends that sold there eggs and went to Joes! But thats my two cents worts! The egg is a good grill with some flaws with there gaskets but it won't stops lots of us paying more for it since its a lot better then the old gaser!! 
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Options
    The stores in Canada makes aproximately $300 to $400 in profit on egg sold if they go by there suggested retail price. But you got to keep in mine they have overhead and employees to pay plus the efty shipping price BGE charges them! So they really end up only making about $200 per egg at the end which isn't much since the average dealer might only sell one a week!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    recessions don't mean prices go down.  my milk is no cheaper that it was in 2008.

anyway, when someone is quibbling over whether their grill is 800 or 850 or whatever, they have a pretty damn good life.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    tweev has agreed with me twice today.  two times more in total than the past three years combined.  someone's sticking with their resolution not to be a total tool.  (and it's not me)
  • DIXIEDOG
    Options
    You do realize Primo has raised their prices a lot more in the last 3 years compared to BGE, right? Good to get educated before opening our mouths and showing how ignorant we are on a subject. It is best to know the facts before voicing our opinions.

You do realize that it is still the cheaper way to go for an equivalent sized grill right?   No need to call others ignorant because their opinions differ from your opinion.

What I'm saying is at a much higher price point for the Egg I would look at their competition much more closely.  The Egg is good but the Primo is also reported to be a great grill and Made in the US too....
  • Salty Hogs BBQ
    Options

You do realize that it is still the cheaper way to go for an equivalent sized grill right?   No need to call others ignorant because their opinions differ from your opinion.

What I'm saying is at a much higher price point for the Egg I would look at their competition much more closely.  The Egg is good but the Primo is also reported to be a great grill and Made in the US too....

Then go buy one and join the Primo message board. Some of the parts of the Primo are made in good ole China. Plus Primo has raised their prices significantly more the BGE has. They cost more. You are a troll.

• DIXIEDOG
    Options
    How am I a troll?  Just because I'm not wearing BGE underoos doesn't make me a troll.  People with this elitist attitude are what turns a lot of good members away from forums.  More members will give more experience and add to the info on the forum.  I'm glad the owner of the shop where I bought my Egg didn't have your attitude, I wouldn't have bought my Egg at all.
  • stike
    Options
    "bge underoos"

Man, that is fantastic.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Hey DIXIEDOG, just ignore Salty Hogs BBQ.   It's so easy to talk tough on the internet, when he can hide behind his computer.  Salty Hogs, you a coward and would never talk that kind of trash to my face.... trust me.   There are more polite ways to make your point, but whatever... you've always got something stuck up your you-know-what.  Mother didn't hug you enough when you were little?  Picked on too much when you were a little school girl?  Really, there is no reason to always be so crabby and confrontational... but it's your loss man.
  • Salty Hogs BBQ
    Options
    Hey DIXIEDOG, just ignore Salty Hogs BBQ.   It's so easy to talk tough on the internet, when he can hide behind his computer.  Salty Hogs, you a coward and would never talk that kind of trash to my face.... trust me.   There are more polite ways to make your point, but whatever... you've always got something stuck up your you-know-what.  Mother didn't hug you enough when you were little?  Picked on too much when you were a little school girl?  Really, there is no reason to always be so crabby and confrontational... but it's your loss man.

Be careful with threats.  There is a fine line between just innocent insults and making physical threats.  One the law can do nothing about it.  The other you can get in trouble for.  Just a friendly suggestion. 

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
  • odie91
    Options
    No physical threats were made, buddy.   Wow, lack of reading comprehension lately? 
  • Salty Hogs BBQ
    Options
    No physical threats were made, buddy.   Wow, lack of reading comprehension lately? 

Not your buddy.  As far as talking to your face, I would have no problem with that.  You can trust me on that.

Tweev--you call me a baby.  You whine like a little bit-- about that other site every chance you get.  They hurt your little feelings?  They play you like the bit-- you are. 

• Salty Hogs BBQ
    Options
    I'm having fun.  Lets continue to play.  I love this crap.
  • odie91
    Options
     I love this crap.
    Wow, that's kind of sad actually.

I'm too old for this crap.  I'm done here.  Best of luck to you in your life.... really.   I'm sure if we met in person, I could find some kind of redeeming qualities in you.   Take care  =)

• Village Idiot
    Options
     He crapped on our bed and we will return the favor. 
    Why are you on the internet?  Hasn't middle school started back from the holidays by now?

Salty, I've seen two threads that you've posted on in this forum, both have been nasty.  There was a lot of pushing and shoving when the two forums first split up, but the more mature people have settled in to their preferred format and not caused trouble. 

I'd ask you to do the same.  Thank you.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Read between the lines, they are one in the same person.
  • Hungry Joe
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I made it more clear. :)
  • Hungry Joe
    Options
    God Bless you son >:)
  • Hungry Joe
    Options

Your just trying to get this thread deleted. That is part of your game, have someone else erase the evidence by dragging the thread so low they have to delete it. But people are beginning to see through you.

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Why are you so obsessed with him, joe? I haven't been around here long, but it is very clear that you are.
  • Hungry Joe
    Options
    Actualy me and tip are tight, don't let these online shenanigans sour you on tip.
    Why are you so obsessed with him, joe? I haven't been around here long, but it is very clear that you are.

Actually me and tip are tight, don't let these online shenanigans sour you on tip.