Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Que replacement bottom grate

Kellwoods
Kellwoods Posts: 0
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone used this product? Since I'm having trouble with achieving higher temps it seems this may be a good alternative.

Comments

• rodent
    rodent Posts: 106
    I have an xl and I replaced the bge grate with a weber grate from home depot. The weber grate doesn't have the same problem of ash collecting and blocking airflow. The weber grate was 9.00 and fits perfectly.
  • I've used the High Que grate for the large and love it.
    The Naked Whiz
  • I've used the High Que grate for the large and love it.
    Do you lose a lot of charcoal because the grates are wider than the holes on the stock?  I've considered buying one of these off Amazon
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Not really.  LIttle chips that fall through burn down in the bottom.  But the amount is insignificant compared to how much you are using.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Would you suggest one for my mini as well?  Got this Amazon card buring a hole in my wallet!  lol
  • Not really.  LIttle chips that fall through burn down in the bottom.  But the amount is insignificant compared to how much you are using.
    Does it ever get knocked out of place when you are using your ash tool to stir the lump?  Prior to every cook, I always stir my left over lump to get the ash to fall down.  Would this grate get knocked out of place?  Thanks for your time.
  • KingRover
    KingRover Posts: 115
    Would you suggest one for my mini as well?  Got this Amazon card buring a hole in my wallet!  lol

I had an Amazon gift card from Christmas as well, and actually just bought a High-Que grate for my large. Its coming Thursday.

From all the comments and reviews I've read, I'm looking forward to getting to temp quicker and getting higher temps.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Have in all three: Large, Small, and Mini. I like them very much in all three. This is a pic in the Mini (Mini and Small the same size).

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I just ordered one for my Large & Mini from Amazon. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Do you lose a lot of charcoal because the grates are wider than the holes on the stock?  I've considered buying one of these off Amazon
    I've had my Hi Q grate for about a month now and like it very much.  I just give a quick stir with the ash tool to make sure the ash has gone through the grate.  I then clean out the ashes and there are a few small pieces of charcoal mixed  in with the ash.  I just pick through them and throw the larger pieces back into the BGE. Takes only a minute. You could skip that part if you wish,  but I don't like to waste any charcoal.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Had one for over just 6 months now and love it. Finally started following the instructions that came with it to start the fire by using a sheet of newspaper under the grate - works better than anything else I've tried.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Had one for over just 6 months now and love it. Finally started following the instructions that came with it to start the fire by using a sheet of newspaper under the grate - works better than anything else I've tried.
    Really?  I would have never thought of reading the directions.  I'm bad for that.  I've used an electric starter for 3 years cause I hate those little cubes.  Newspaper.... and it lights quickly?
  • Kentucky,  I thought I had replied about stirring the ashes, but the post seems to have disappeared.  I haven't found that it gets dislodged.  In my review, I think I mentioned being concerned about this, but in practice, I've not seen the grate dislodge.
    The Naked Whiz
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I have them in both of my larges and my small.  They REALLY help with airflow on the small.  I have found they pretty much eliminate the need for a wiggle rod.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Had one for over just 6 months now and love it. Finally started following the instructions that came with it to start the fire by using a sheet of newspaper under the grate - works better than anything else I've tried.
    Really?  I would have never thought of reading the directions.  I'm bad for that.  I've used an electric starter for 3 years cause I hate those little cubes.  Newspaper.... and it lights quickly?
    Faster than starter cubes or MAPP torch.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Like most of us guys, I hadn't read the instructions either.  Will have to give that a try!  (I've got the High-Q in my Large (yay, margharita pizza temps at last!) and just got a High Q for my Small (haven't installed it yet)).  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• I can't wait to get them even though I've never used a wiggle rod.  I'm always looking to get new things for my eggs.
  • Been reading comments and just pulled the trigger on the hi que grate. I always fight ashes and small pieces limiting air flow. I'm currently using Wicked Good charcoal due to larger pieces, but I'm not completely sold. It's expensive and still has some small pieces mainly at the bottom of the bag. Any suggestions or recommendations on charcoal brand?
  • I'd go to The Naked Whiz site and check out his reviews for what's sold in your area.  I use Royal Oak that I buy at Walmart.  A 10 lb bag is $7.37.  I do also like Frontier for low and slows only.  It has very large pieces which is nice.  However, it sparks way to much for higher temp cooks.  They only sell it in 40 lb bags at Sams during the summer.  Overall, Royal Oak is a very good choice.

• Thanks for the feedback.
  • JOnathan, if you go to my Lump Database, you can show all the brands sorted by the amount of dust and chips found in the bag. I have that data for a good many number of brands.
    The Naked Whiz