Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Everyday Lump Charcoal

Options
2»

Comments

• walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    edited January 2012
    Options

Like I said in a previous post I use and sell Cowboy Lump.  We used to sell Royal Oak but after a customer suggested we try Cowboy, we found that sales increased.  We have had nothing but positive comments about the Cowboy Lump.  I switched from using Royal Oak to Cowboy and have never had one problem.  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Charcoal can vary from region to region depending on the source being used to supply the wood.  In 6 years I've never seen a piece of lumber in any charcoal I've used.  That could be because I live in the south where hardwood timber is extremely abundant.

• stevesails
    Options

I have a question. What is wrong with milled hardwood lumber, that has not been finished? wouldn't it be a good use of scrap?

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Options

I have a question. What is wrong with milled hardwood lumber, that has not been finished? wouldn't it be a good use of scrap?

Yea it's pretty much the same thing.
  • fyrpit
    fyrpit Posts: 24
    Options

The first few bag's of lump I purchased were BGE.. A good friend and now team mate turned me onto a product called Dragon Breath.. It's about half the cost of BGE and it is great stuff.. Just my two cent's.

Don't forget the folks at the Naked Whiz have taken allot of time and effort and created a wealth of knowledge on lump.  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm  There is allot of great info from these guys.

Todd www.smokinfyrpit.com https://www.facebook.com/SmokinFyrPit pitmaster@smokinfyrpit.com Dragon Breath Lump Charcoal Dealer XL Big Green Egg & Large Big Green Egg Rebel 23' Smoker DigiQ DXII & Cyber Que WIFI KCBS Member & CBJ
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Cowboy has up until recently been mostly made from milling scrap.  I.E. flooring, molding, etc. which has been kiln dried and then shaped.  There is nothing wrong with this as a source for making charcoal.  Cowboy knows that they can't use woods with finish on it, or treated lumber scraps.  Cowboy had some unique qualities that made it quite attractive to me as one of several brands I chose to use.  In the last couple of years, the rumor has been that the building industry has been down and there is a lot less of the milling scrap available for use by Cowboy and thus they have taken to using wood like slabs from lumber mills like the Royal Oak does, for example.  I've had a couple of bags of the "new" Cowboy and it has been reasonably good, just mostly smallish pieces.  But it's ok to find millwork scrap in lump charcoal from Cowboy.  I've seldom if ever seen it in any other brands.
    The Naked Whiz