Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking a Turkey

Options
trevorst
trevorst Posts: 64
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I took at advantage of 1/2 off Xmas Turkey so I am smoking it today.
I have smoked several on my old Masterbuilt electric and always used 225 with water pan underneath.
Have seen several suggestions here at higher temps. Any thoughts...

Comments

• 2CanQ
    2CanQ Posts: 14
    Options
    I have cooked at 325 same as cooking in oven but since I got my first Egg we haven't cooked one in the oven since.   I have cooked them either way stuffed or non and they turn out great. 
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I did this turkey on Thanksgiving - about 13lbs.  Smoked indirect at 250 for about 4-5 hours, then when the temp hit 135 in the breast I removed the platesetter and cooked direct at 400 until the breast was just above 165 and the dark meat was at 180-185 or so.  I used Dizzy Dust rub inside the skin and inside the body and it was the best turkey I have ever tasted and I was put in charge for next years turkey. This was just a test with my BGE that I got in the sumer.  I attend a party of about 40 people and the turkey is catered from a farm - fully cooked. Next year I think they will be one less client according to all guests who got a sample. I used a small amount of hickory and mostly cherry, apple and pecan.  

The issue with just smoking at 250 is the skin is very rubbery in my opinion, blasting at 400 direct crisps the skin up nicely.