Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lobster Tails

Bgolf4me
Bgolf4me Posts: 16
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a recipe for doing Lobster Tails on the Egg.
Thanks, Happy New Year

Comments

• Cut off think under shell with scissors. bend tail back to crack shell to prevent curling or you could skewer it.

1 stick butter, juice from 1 lime, cilantro, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper.  delete any you dont like.  brush sauce over lobster meat.

400 degrees direct with meat side up for 5 min.  turn shell side up, brush with little more sauce & grill about another 5-10 min or meat is opaque.  about 130 degrees.

Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    this recipe has been around for some time - i do not know who first posted this - so very good

Dwell In The Shell

Get
    your shears and cut the clear membrane off the belly of the tail, getting rid
    of the tiny feet, exposing the meat. Rinse them good, dry them with paper towel
    and place them shell side up on a cutting board. Take a heavy knife or cleaver,
    place it longwise (parallel) in the center of the shell and tap the back of the
    blade into the shell, cracking it ever so slightly. This is so our tail will
    lay flat on the grill. Do not take meat out of the shell! Now flip them over,
    belly side up. Take a bit of oil (I used peanut )and pour a small amount on
    your fingers, and lightly rub the meat. Don't use much at all, barely a
    drizzle. Grab a lime or two and squeeze juice and pulp all over the meat,
    liberally. Then shake on garlic powder and a touch of Lowry's seasoning salt. I
    then have to throw my favorite ingredient of all time, which goes on everything
    I cook, New Mexican green Chile
    powder. Don't worry if you don't have this, it's hard to find, and your
    lobsters will still be far and above any lobster you ever had before. Place
    covered tails in fridge for an hour or so to marinade while your getting your
    cooker ready.

Get a
    good hot bed of lump going and preheat your cooker to 400 - 450 degrees. As all
    of you know, when it comes to seafood and a good hot fire, you must move
    swiftly because every minute counts. Place tails, meat side down on the grill
    and press them flat. This is why we weakened the shells earlier with the
    tapping cleaver. Set your metal cup on the grill also with butter and minced
    garlic so it will melt and sauté' the garlic. Close the lid. If you don't have
    a metal cup to use on the grill while you're cooking', get one !

Open
    the cooker after 5 minutes and with a leather glove, carefully turn tails over
    onto their shells so meat is facing up towards the sky. Take your cup (grab it
    with a leather glove please) with the butter and garlic, and spoon sautéed
    mixture onto the lobster tails. The tails will form a slight cupped shape which
    will hold most of the butter in place, but your fire will rage for a minute,
    and that is great. Close the lid down and slowly begin to close top and bottom
    drafts so they can "Dwell in the Shell" for 5 more minutes. Remember
    - with a good hot fire, 5 minutes per side, that's it. With 50 dollars worth of
    lobster on the grill, you definitely want to pay attention. I don't recommend
    holding any conversations with your company while you're fixing this supper.
    Tell your family and friends that you'll socialize again after this crucial 10
    minutes is over. Once everyone tastes what you've agonized and sweated over for
    10 minutes, no more explanations will be necessary. Simply,

Enjoy!

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large