Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Stall?

Options
joe@bge
joe@bge Posts: 394
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum

I am doing a pork butt and I am at the 164 degree temp point on the meat and getting ready to head out for dinner.  Doesn't pork stall at around the 170 degree mark?  I put it on at 10:00 AM this morning and I am planning on pulling it off the egg at 190 degrees.  I should have enough time to grab a bite to eat and get back in time before it gets too over done, right? 

I guess the other option is I could put the Guru in ramp mode and then it would tame down the fire as the meat reaches the target temp.  BTW - this is my first long cook with the Guru and its working flawlessly!  Thanks for everyone's tips on my Guru thread I started the other day.

Comments

• 2CanQ
    2CanQ Posts: 14
    Options
    I usually keep a cooking log when I do long cooks because I can't remember all the different cooking times for each type meat.  On Port Butts sometimes it takes 2 to 3+ hours to go from the low 160's to the 180's.  Go enjoy your dinner and you should be closer to your target temp when you get back. 
  • joe@bge
    Options

Tweev - that's what I thought - 160-170 range is what I thought I read on here. I have done a bunch of pork butts (with good success) but never paid attention to to the "stall".

Just got back and the butt temp is at 184 now and I have had the egg set at 240 grate temp for most of the cook and I raised it to 250 around the time that I posted this...

That's a good idea on the cooking log...2Can :)

• bluegrasstiger
    Options
    You are full in stall mode.  It's hard to know how much longer without knowing what your egg is at.  To be safe, I would bump the egg up to 275 - 300 to make your time (and I don't it's still going to make it) - You could also wrap in foil that that will speed it up some.
    Hey Tweev...have you noticed a difference in stall time between different pieces of meat?  I've had some go forever and some sail straight through and the only difference I can figure is where I purchased the butt...from a farmer versus from a butcher versus from a grocery or club store.
  • joe@bge
    Options

Turned out perfect...I think I am going to heed others advice and pull at 195-200 instead of 190.  I don't know the exact amount of time in spent in stall but from the time I posted this is was at 164 degrees it was over 2 hours before it made it to 184 degrees.  All in all it was a 12 hour cook when I pulled the butt at 190 degrees.  CyberQ held temps within 2-3 degrees of the target pit temp through the whole cook.

This was a 8lb bone-in shoulder roast.  I used a combination (50/50) of Smokin' In The Dark Medium Rub and John Henry's Sugar Maple rub.  Nice bark on the outside!image

Here's the final product which was very moist and flavorful:

• bluegrasstiger
    Options
    Looks really good!