Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

brussel sprouts

Ga eggerGa egger Posts: 15
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Any one have a good recipe for brussel sprouts?  Thanks. 

Comments

• stevesailsstevesails Posts: 990
    edited December 2011
    burnt to a crisp.  sorry.. i wont be the only one
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 938
    I like to compost them.

Gerhard
  • You can give this a try.

1/2 lb Brussels sprouts

1/2 cup heavy cream

1.  Bring sprouts, cream, and salt to boil in cast iron saucier pan.

2.  Lower heat, cover, and simmer, shaking pan once or twice, until knife tip inserted in center of sprout meets no resistance, about 10 to 12 minutes.

3.  Season with nutmeg and pepper to taste.

• Any one have a good recipe for brussel sprouts?  Thanks. 
    I usually cut a cross in the stem and steam for a bit til al dente. If I want to fancy them up I'll put them is a pan and cook on the egg after steaming and toss some shredded hard cheese on top.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• rodentrodent Posts: 106
    Cut them in half and sauté in bacon fat and diced bacon.
  • Or cut them in half and sauté with chestnuts
  • geegee Posts: 71
    Cut them in half and sauté in bacon fat and diced bacon.

+1
    Who cares I'll post where I want
  • Cut in half and blanch two lbs of sprouts in salty water for approx 5 minutes and drain. Slice up a shallot in thin slices and saute in butter and throw in the brussel sprouts and saute until brown. Remove the sprouts and shallots, add more butter, and add a handful of chopped walnuts saute until fragrant then put the sprouts and shallot mixture back in the pan, squeeze half a lemon in the mix to brighten up the flavor. Once you are here, add a half a cup of parmesan stir and serve. It will knock hour socks off!!
  • Thanks!! I'll give it a try!

• Mine is pretty simple compared to others. Olive oil, kosher salt and cracked pepper. Toss is a bowl to coat and grill in veggie basket tossing a few times while cooking. Pretty simple and tasty
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Cut them in half and sauté in bacon fat and diced bacon.
    +2
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,650

Slice brussels sprouts in half.

Fry up some bacon.

Throw away brussel sprouts and eat bacon.

:))

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,102
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Scott805Scott805 Posts: 264
    I cut both ends off, place in foil, add one stick of fat free butter, two cloves of garlic, close foil  and grill along with my steaks.  YUM!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent table!

Dallas, TX

• Need to cook hot and fast to avoid undesirable sulfur smell and taste. Toss in evoo with garlic, anchovy, chile flakes, hit the bacon fat till brown, turn once. Add in bacon bits, roasted pine nuts and top will parm reg cheese...
  •  

Mine is pretty simple compared to others. Olive oil, kosher salt and cracked pepper. Toss is a bowl to coat and grill in veggie basket tossing a few times while cooking. Pretty simple and tasty
    I agree with this one, with the addition of a balsamic reduction with a tablespoon of sugar added.  It is a big hit with my family.
    Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • rodentrodent Posts: 106
    What the heck is fat free butter and why would anyone want it
  • gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 938
    I cut both ends off, place in foil, add one stick of fat free butter, two cloves of garlic, close foil  and grill along with my steaks.  YUM!
    What is fat free butter?   I always thought butter was 80% dairy fat.

Gerhard
  • Mike8itMike8it Posts: 468
    Growing up in the south I have always boiled one or two ham hocks in tap water for about 45 minutes then through the brussell sprouts in the pot with the ham hock and broth and cook for 10 minutes or so. Take the pot off the heat and let soak for a while. Drizzle with a little apple cider vinegar or pepper vinegar. Good to me
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,483
    What the heck is fat free butter and why would anyone want it
    I was thinking the same thing.  Kind of defeats the purpose!!
    :O

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Coat Brussel Sprouts in egg, cover with bread crumbs, and drop in a deep fryer for 45 seconds.  We usually cook the sprouts on thanksgiving after the turkey comes out of the fryer.  Not the healthiest method, but very tasty.  Be sure not to over cook them.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Scott805Scott805 Posts: 264
    Excuse me!  Low Fat Butter!  My mistake.

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent table!

Dallas, TX

• throw them in along with the cauliflower, mushrooms, and sausage about 5 minutes before adding the crawfish... wait, wrong forum! ...I don't know any other ways to make them tolerable, sorry.
    War Eagle and pass the Sauce!
  • @Griffin ; =)) =)) :))  I am with you toss em and eat the bacon.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  •  

Mine is pretty simple compared to others. Olive oil, kosher salt and cracked pepper. Toss is a bowl to coat and grill in veggie basket tossing a few times while cooking. Pretty simple and tasty
    I agree with this one, with the addition of a balsamic reduction with a tablespoon of sugar added.  It is a big hit with my family.
    I'll try the balsamic and tsp of sugar next time.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY